Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

System Off to Save Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Thumbs down System Off to Save Battery

I own a 2013 Ford Edge. After three years, my car would not start one morning, so I got a jump and took it to Sears to get a new battery. Did not take long (compared to going to a Ford dealer).

But when I turned off the engine I again got the same error message: System off to save battery.

I found numerous people having the same problem with F150s, Escapes, Fusion, and other Fords. I took my car to the dealership and left it overnight. They reset the battery monitoring system and charged me $130 for an hours labor.

Warning. New Fords force you to the dealer for a simple battery replacement. The service advisor said to get my battery from the dealer next time and they would do the reset as part of the service.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:41 PM

You do not need to go to a dealership to update the newer vehicle's system with battery replacement. A qualified shop with the right scan tool can do this also. In some cases where this updating is not done the charging system will not respond correctly and could result in a dead new battery. The system needs to know the battery was replaced and old programming updated.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by DaveHorton

Warning. New Fords force you to the dealer for a simple battery replacement. The service advisor said to get my battery from the dealer next time and they would do the reset as part of the service.
its not a ford thing but rather todays modern vehicles. Raise a land rover on a frame contact hoist and you will be paying the dealer $300 to reset the active suspension system.

vehicles today are very sophisticated. No one can know everything about every vehicle. That is exactly why you should go to the dealer...they know their product better than anyone else.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM
KJK

Originally Posted by DaveHorton
I own a 2013 Ford Edge. After three years, my car would not start one morning, so I got a jump and took it to Sears to get a new battery. Did not take long (compared to going to a Ford dealer).

But when I turned off the engine I again got the same error message: System off to save battery.

I found numerous people having the same problem with F150s, Escapes, Fusion, and other Fords. I took my car to the dealership and left it overnight. They reset the battery monitoring system and charged me $130 for an hours labor.

I got the same error message on the display screen also, not long after I changed my battery in my 2014 Explorer. Ask the dealership if I had a battery monitoring system, one guy said no the other guy said he didn't know. Can't seem to find out the truth. Still fighting the problem

Old 10-31-2017, 06:59 AM

Agreed with Primem, Since the vehicles are becoming sophisticated due to the complex electronics, it's not the thing of the past to go to some mechanic and get it corrected, he should have some specific electronic tools to change the vehicle setting as per the requirement, usually car dealers can afford these so it's better to visit the car dealer, it cost you money, but you got the problem corrected.