Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

09 liftgate lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Default 09 liftgate lock

I have an 09 escape that the liftgate sometimes will not unlock so you can open it.The keyfob unlocks the doors but not the liftgate.I have had it back to the dealer but it always works for them.It also wont open with door locks.The only way it opens is to put the key in and start the car then it works.Any ideas?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Mine will not open, even with the key in. The dealers want 95.00 just to look at it. Now my rear turn signal wnet out and i can't get access to change the bulb. No one will tell me anything. Did you have any luck?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM

two pictures:

Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM

It appears that the trim panel can be removed from the inside of the vehicle.
Hopefully that allows you to pry open the latch, or spray lubricant to the actuator, or apply voltage to the actuator (try a 9V battery).

The liftgate consists of the following components:

• liftgate door lock actuator
  • liftgate lock cylinder (if equipped)
  • liftgate window glass
  • liftgate window latch/ajar switch
  • liftgate window glass release handle
  • liftgate latch remote control which consists of the following component:
    • liftgate release handle
  • liftgate latch, which consist of the following component:
    • liftgate latch door ajar switch
Liftgate Latch Actuator Removal and Installation
  1. Remove the liftgate latch remote control. For additional information, refer to Liftgate Latch Remote Control in this section.
SECTION 501-14: Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems 2001 Escape Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Liftgate Latch Removal and Installation
  1. Remove the liftgate trim panel.
  1. Disconnect the liftgate ajar switch electrical connector.
  1. Disconnect the liftgate latch actuating rod.
    1. Open the clip.
    1. Disconnect the actuating rod.
  1. Remove and discard the liftgate latch bolts.
  1. Remove the liftgate latch.
  1. NOTE: Make sure the liftgate latch release rod is not preloading the latch. It should be clipped in a relaxed state with no slack.
    NOTE: Position the liftgate latch release rod by pushing outboard to remove the slack.
  1. Remove the screws and the liftgate latch actuator

Good luck

Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Default Tailgate Won't Open - Actuator not Latch

I have a 2009 Ford Escape and the tailgate, which was temporarily not opening is now permanently closed. I ordered the Tailgate Actuator Assembly and need to know how to open the tailgate when the actuator no longer works. The previous information in this thread is for a latch for circa 2001 Escapes. From 2009 to 2012 they used actuators, not latches. Does any know where I can get the information on how to open the tailgate? Any help would be appreciated.

Also a bit of information I haven't seen in other forums - When the tailgate actuator or the rear glass actuator is working intermittantly you can turn the ignition key to ACC and then off again. This will reset the solenoids and you should be able to open the tailgate or glass. However this is sign that it needs to be fixed. This is only a temporary condition.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Hi I am having a similar issue. My trunk release has a mind of it's own, it works for awhile then it does not work for a while. I am reluctant to spend the almost $200 dollars for the part, put it in myself only to find out is is the harness or something. Have you fixed your issue? Did stop working completely or on and off as mind doe? Thank you.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM

I did end up replacing the mechanism and it did fix the issue. Its MUCH easier to replace it before it dies completely. I looked around and got it for $89.00 on ebay. It was new and the correct part.