Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2002 Ford Escape Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Default 2002 Ford Escape Battery Issue

Today while taking a 5 minute drive to the store and back my Escape Died On the way home. While Driving. I was halfway down the block and lost all power and The dashboard lights dimmed.

After a Bystander Helped me jump it The seatbelt alarm, Airbag light and ABS light all camee on until 3 blocks later It died again. however this time When i had my foot away from the gas pedal it was moving just as if you had it in drive But werent Pressing the Gas. Again however i lost power steering and Everything.

Now, I know something about Doing some repairs, but i dont know if its the Battery, Alternator, A loose wire from the wireing Harness, or perhaps a Short.

The car is sitting 5 blocks from home, and Whatever help i can get in order to repair this would be great.

Thank you all

Brendan

Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Default I assume your problem has been fixed???

I am having the same issue. What did you do to fix it?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 PM

Did you get the car home yet?
If so , do you have any kind of test equipment to use?
If so , check the voltage at the battery, it should be at least 12 volts.
If the car will start the voltage reading should go up to at least 14 volts.
Depending on your answers might be able to suggest additional checks.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 AM

I got my car home, Husband got the alternator off and we took it to a parts store and yes it was dead, he had a salvaged part to replace it with so we had that one checked as well and it was good. Got the new part on on Saturday, made sure the battery was fully charged (it was a brand new Motorcraft battery that I had purchased 2 days prior to the car dying) and everything ran fine but the battery light was still on. I got in my car this morning and it wouldn't start right away. I pulled out the charger to check the battery and it was dead. Is there another component to the charging system that could be bad???

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 AM

Not positive if the alternator output is controlled by a voltage regulator in the alternator or controlled by the vehicle's computer.
Did the place where you had it tested say if the regulator is in the alternator?
If it is not, there is a good possibility that you have either a poor connection somewhere or the voltage regulator circuitry in the computer is malfunctioning.
A good practice is always to confirm that there are no poor connections.