Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2008 Escape XLT high idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:50 AM
Default 2008 Escape XLT high idle

After doing an oil change and replacing the air filter yesterday, my Escape is idling at a much higher rpm. At start, it shoots to between 2000 and 2500 rpm, then surges between 1500 and 1800 rpm. It does not drop down lower when driving, as it's high enough that I gain speed when my foot is off the gas pedal. I was not having these issues before the oil change/air filter replacement. It's weird because it doesn't seem like I unplugged cables or hosing, and nothing is loose around the air intake. Where should I begin to look to fix this? Thanks.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:30 PM

There could be a few reasons for an unwanted hi idle, but if this started only after you changed the oil and air filter, it might be a good idea to retrace your steps.
It is unlikely the oil change had anything to do with the new problem, but we can look into that a little later
Where the problem could be is possibly what you moved/did replacing the air filter. I know you looked for vacuum leaks with hoses and that is a good place to start
Suggest you go over everything you moved and look over, under, and around for vacuum hose or plug that may have come off or loose.Any check engine light?

Old 04-03-2020, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There could be a few reasons for an unwanted hi idle, but if this started only after you changed the oil and air filter, it might be a good idea to retrace your steps.
It is unlikely the oil change had anything to do with the new problem, but we can look into that a little later
Where the problem could be is possibly what you moved/did replacing the air filter. I know you looked for vacuum leaks with hoses and that is a good place to start
Suggest you go over everything you moved and look over, under, and around for vacuum hose or plug that may have come off or loose.Any check engine light?
I did, and I can't find anything disconnected or unplugged. I will check again, but it's raining here for the rest of the day so I can tomorrow. No check engine light comes on though.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:24 PM

Can I ask if during your servicing did you at any time disconnect the battery?

Old 04-03-2020, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Can I ask if during your servicing did you at any time disconnect the battery?
I didn't disconnect the battery. But I drove it today for some errands, and right before I got back the check engine light came on. I'm going to see if it's on tomorrow, then see what it is.