Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2008 Escape fuel filter removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Default 2008 Escape fuel filter removal?

So along with an air filter and spark plugs I also picked up a new fuel filter. With 60k on the clock I figured why not right? While at the store I peeped a Haynes repair manual for the Escape, but only up to 2007. I was mainly looking for the depressurization process...which I found.
What I didn't look closely enough at was the actual removal of the filter itself. I've done many in my day so I just glanced at it. Now that I'm doing it I'm having problems. I'm looking for some type of release mechanism on the hoses right at the filter, but I'm seeing nothing. The end of the hose seems to be solid metal w/ no sign of a a release. It looks like it just wants to be pulled straight off, but in most cases that's BAD and something breaks.

I thought I'd find clips of some sort like in this video (2:20 mark):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0iq2csy_gc

Instead I have these:

They look to be solid metal without a way to compress and unlock them. If you know the technique please set me straight. Thanks!

Last edited by TMcNasty; 02-20-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 PM

It requires a special double half moon release tool to release the fingers that hold the fuel line on to the neck of the filter. You can purchase on at a local auto store. There are cheap ones and better ones. Naturally the better ones work better,and can save your sanity. Before you do anything on the fuel system , you must relieve the pressure in the line. This can be done a couple of ways. Locate the inertia switch, and with the engine idling rap that switch with your hand and when the switch trips the engine will quit running due to lack of fuel pressure. Crank the starter a few times to release any left over pressure then it is safe to open the system with the special tool and change the filter. Be careful not to lose the little o' rings in the line ends. Then all you need to do is push the ends on to the new filter ends and give them a tug to make sure they are on securely. THEN reset the inertia switch, start the vehicle and check for leaks . Instead of using the inertia switch you can remove the fuel pump fuse. Same result no fuel pressure engine quits.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

There are a few different versions of the quick release tools.. Some plastic/nylon, others are plier type.. These are the more common, and all function on the same principal.. The tool slides/installs around and pushes into the coupler where it releases the spring to let the collar of the fuel line pass by..

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Escape fuel filter removal?-otc-6507.jpg  

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks a lot guys. They just had to go and make a specialty tool necessary huh?
Is there a certain size tool I need? A quick look at that image you posted leads me to believe there are multiple sizes.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Your correct, their color coded to the line sizes..

They generally come in a set.. If you have a Harbor Freight or discount tool house you can pick up the nylon release set for about 7.00.. The aluminium set runs about 20.00.. Kragen, Autozone ect. should have them too. The nylon will do the trick, but the aluminium is much better for getting 'in and behind' the collar.. Sometimes the nylon tend to be kinda wide and more difficult to get into position.. If you can, and have some compressed air, blow behind the collar just in case there is debris inside.. Spray some WD or ? before inserting the tool.. It helps in the release.. Most times just inserting the tool will do fine.. Actually,, the quick release is a cool setup, and a breeze most times to change..

Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks Haya. Yeah I have a Harbor Freight nearby. I'll check it out. Its just too bad Ford didn't use the same quick disconnect as other cars I own. On those the collar compresses into itself causing its own release. Even handier than the Ford setup.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM

I just changed my fuel filter. You DEFFINETLY need this tool.