Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2015 Escape acts possessed, starts by turning on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Default 2015 Escape acts possessed, starts by turning on headlights

I pulled into a parking space and before I could get the car in park, it shut off. Thought it was a bad battery. Couldn't jump it, had to be towed. Got it started at home with a jump starter. Replaced the battery, ran fine for 2 weeks. Parked at a store, went to get back in it and it wouldn't start. Jumped it and could get it to started but ran rough (sounded choppy), and idled rough. Not drivable. had to be towed home. Couldn't be jumped. Started fine all next day. They determined the ground post may have been loose. When they wiggled it, the dash lights and interior lights would flash. Tightened it up. Test drove it. Drove fine. Let it run for 10 min. Turned it off. Went to leave, wouldn't start. The interior lights and dash lights and airbag lights and AC were flashing and wipers working. He was able to get it started by beating on the steering wheel. (He was trying to diagnose the problem). Turned on the headlight and car started extremely rough like before. As seen in video. Not drive able, every time I put my foot on the break and tried to put in reverse, it died (I wanted to put it in garage) The next morning the car started fine and acted normal, I was able to pull it in garage with no trouble. He did some research and felt like the ignition could be bad, so he replaced the ignition. Car worked fine. Took it on a 15 min test drive at all different speeds and brakes and it was fine. So he replaced the steering column cover. Wouldnt start. (He replaced it
Correctly) took it back off and it still wouldn't start. Starts with a screwdriver (I think he said).

Old 10-13-2021, 02:05 PM

When we do certain things we can create some other problems too.

Gremlins can get into the electronics of newer vehicles and sometimes we do what is called a hard reset. That is when we remove the negative battery cable from the negative post of the battery and hold the cable end against the positive cable end for a few minutes. This usually erases the memory of the computer including the gremlins.

Now when you reconnect the negative cable back into the battery post you will notice some of the memory has been lost. This includes idle speed, radio stations , memory seat, and memory mirrors and shifting schedules.They will all come back as the vehicle is driven for a few miles.The radio stations , mirrors and seat will need to be reset manually.Let us know what you find, thanks.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
When we do certain things we can create some other problems too.

Gremlins can get into the electronics of newer vehicles and sometimes we do what is called a hard reset. That is when we remove the negative battery cable from the negative post of the battery and hold the cable end against the positive cable end for a few minutes. This usually erases the memory of the computer including the gremlins.

Now when you reconnect the negative cable back into the battery post you will notice some of the memory has been lost. This includes idle speed, radio stations , memory seat, and memory mirrors and shifting schedules.They will all come back as the vehicle is driven for a few miles.The radio stations , mirrors and seat will need to be reset manually.Let us know what you find, thanks.

Thanks for the answer, he will be over tomorrow and I’ll show him your reply. Today the car started just fine. He took off the negative battery cable, and it was seriously corroded. And the pigtail wires that connected to it were melted. So picked up both of those at a ford dealer and will see if that is the fix tomorrow. He’s currently trying to figure out how to reset the battery monitor.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:26 AM

Sounds like you may have a parasitic draw somewhere that's killing your battery. Low/intermittent voltage issues can cause all sorts of starting & driveability concerns.
Did you install a new battery? Are all your connections clean & tight? Is the battery ground cable clean & tight where it attaches to the body?
Did you pinch any wires installing it? Those batteries are in a lousy spot...
Did you reset the Battery monitoring System after replacing the battery? This can be done with a good quality scan tool. Most smaller hand held scanners will not be able to perform this function.
Is the alternator charging properly?