Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2019 Escape multiple failures/warnings

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 05:36 PM
Default 2019 Escape multiple failures/warnings

I have a 2019 Escape with less that 10,000 miles (wife is retired) She returned home the other day, and called me on the cell phone to come out and look at her car. Investigating, there are several messages on the display between the speedometer and tachometer. It would not shut off by pressing the Start/Stop button. Finally, after several pushes it did. I hooked up a code reader and it shows 0 codes. So, messages and failures are:

1. Antilock Break Fault
2. Hill Start Assist Warning
3. Pre-Collision Assist Not Available (did'nt know it had that)
4. Front Camera Failure
5. ABS and Traction Assist Lights On
6. Odometer shows "--------"
7. Speedometer doesn't register
8. Digital speedometer shows "0" when moving
9. No power steering
10. Engine doesn't always stop with the Start/Stop button.

So, I've got an appointment a few weeks off for "diagnostics", but, does anyone on here have any idea what bad news they're going to give me? I thought at first a ABS sensor, but, there's a lot of other things I wouldn't think would be tied to that. I'm thinking a computer failure, and hoping it's covered by the extended warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2023, 04:40 AM

When there are that many different faults, I look for a bad ground. I would disconnect the battery, remove and clean all ground connections along with battery connections. There should be about 4-6 ground connections in the engine compartment and behind kick panel(s).

Old 04-24-2023, 08:41 AM

Ground connection(s) are a good possibility, but there is more going on here than a simple ground connection problem.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Ground connection(s) are a good possibility, but there is more going on here than a simple ground connection problem.
It's broke.

Old 04-24-2023, 04:06 PM

Take a good look and check for loose plug connections at the alternator.The fit of the internal terminals became loose

Those connections when loose internally will start arcing and this sets gremlins loose in the electrical system and the poor dash shows the result.
Today's electrical systems are very sensitive to unwanted electrical pulses and that affects the electronics in the vehicle..

There were some problems with the ignition switches that required replacement.
Also , there were problems with the wiring in the hatch area, where a broken wire would make and break contact setting the gremlins loose. The wiring in the hatch would break and separate and produce the laundry list of problems.
I know your shop will hopefully find and correct the problem, and if you would , please let us know what they found, thanks.

Last edited by hanky; 04-24-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:33 PM
Default Follow up

So, I wait a few days and decide to use my OBD scanner again, but let it run through it's list of complaints and warm up a little before hitting "Read". No codes. But I noticed the odometer showed the correct mileage. So I decided to move it a little, and low and behold the speedometers both work. And the power steering works. I went through the menu items on the display, and all of the alerts were gone. Shut it off (1 push only this time), started it back up, no complaints.

So, I'm thinking that yes, there is something loose in the electrical. Or it's just trying to mess with me.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:01 PM

Because we can't think of anything better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you're right , it is just messing with you ! lol

Old 06-24-2023, 06:54 PM

Well, here it is 2 months later, and it is supposed to be fixed. After 2, technically 3, visits to the dealer, they're pretty sure it's fixed.

I took it in 5/16. Unfortunately, it did not have the issue then. They could not reproduce it, but did find that a wheel speed sensor had registered a code at some point. Their opinion was that it was a transient issue since it had cleared. So, we picked it up 5/19. On 5/21, we drove it around for a couple of hours, no problem. We stopped to get groceries. When we got back out and started it...Bingo! I managed to get it home with no power steering, and took pictures of the alerts on the dash.

The next day, we took it back, still showing the alerts, no power steering, no speedometer, etc. I did not shut it off so that they could see it for themselves. Over the next few days I tried to get an update, but this dealership's service department has a big problem with communication. I was told on the 5/26 they hadn't been able to look at it yet. I kind of felt like, you know, it was brought back in and maybe they needed to put a little priority on it. Apparently, they did get to it then, because I received fresh alerts on my Ford Pass app.

I tried to contact them the week of 5/29, but my service advisor was not in. I was told they still hadn't looked at it yet, despite me knowing someone drove it and reproduced the issue.

I kept trying to get an update and didn't get anything back until 6/5. Apparently, the technician had been off for training. (I suppose they only have one?) Later that day, I again received fresh alerts. On 6/6, they called and said that it was ready, and they had replaced the wheel speed sensor, test driven it and pronounced it fixed. So we went to pick it up. We paid the deductible on the extended warranty, and they brought it around to the pickup area.

As we walked out to the car, the Ford Pass app alerted yet again before we even touched it. I turned right around and found the service advisor showed him the app. He looked at the car, and sure enough, alerts on the dash. I handed him the key, and we left it with them. They said they could get to it "probably by the end of the week". I told them I sure hoped it was sooner than that.

I received a survey from Ford, asking how my experience went. I did not sugar coat it. I told the truth, and specifically said that the lack of communication was inexcusable. I received a call from a customer service rep with the dealer to discuss my experience. I was honest with him, too. He was shocked to find out that the problem still had not been fixed. I will say that he was very helpful in tracking down people to give me updates.

I called on 6/20, and was told that a part had been ordered, a "fuse panel assembly". A little while later I received a call but I had to let it go to voicemail. It was the manager of the service department, telling me that they still hadn't figured out the problem. (there's that communication problem again). I called the customer service rep, and told him about the conflicted information. He managed to find out that the part had indeed been ordered, and had come in.

Finally, 6/23, more than a month after taking it to them, it is once again pronounced fixed. We drove it today, and so far so good.

I know that electrical issues can be tricky, but this has been a nightmare. The dealership's lack of communication, internal and external, is appalling.

If it messes up again, I'm letting my wife loose on them.