Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Brand New Escape Hybrid Rust Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Default Brand New Escape Hybrid Rust Problems?

I just purchased my first Ford(first American vehicle in fact), a new Escape Hybrid. I picked up the vehicle yesterday, and today was SHOCKED to see rust on the underbelly of the vehicle. Upon closer inspection, at least 20 components including ubolts, the exhaust and other un-identifiable items(not a car mechanic) were completely rusted!!! This is a 2010 Escape Hybrid with fewer than 100 miles bought and picked up yesterday(91 miles upon delivery). I am absolutely floored. What do you all think of this situation? It is Sunday, so I have not yet contacted the dealer, but I am absolutely miffed...

Old 08-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Default same problem with rust

I have the same problem with my new Escape and they told me that it was "simple physics." Rust would form on my car. I have had the vehicle 7 weeks and noticed this problem after only 4 weeks.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:07 PM

I would be reasonably sure that the vehicle didn't have rust on it when it left the manufacturer. Many times the vehicles sit out in a field and by the time the customer purchases it , mother nature has begun her marvels via moisture etc. It would not be difficult for the dealership to take the vehicle in the shop for a day and shoot a fast coat of paint on the "simple physics" and keep a good customer happy. Those that don't ask , don't get!! Good customers are hard to get these days and they just might be willing to keep a good customer happy and coming back .

Old 05-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Default Same problem with our 2011 Escape Hybrid

We have the same problem with our 2011 Escape Hybrid. The photos and video on our Rust on brand new Ford Escape Hybrid Web page were shot 8 days after we took delivery.

Ford says this rust will not affect the "durability or drivability" of our vehicle, but has not put that assurance in writing.

We are wondering whether this is something we should be concerned about and would be curious to hear from owners of older Escapes with this issue on how things have progressed.