Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Cooling Fans will not Operate - 2009 Escape - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Default Cooling Fans will not Operate - 2009 Escape - HELP

I recently bought a 2009 Escape with a 6 Cylinder Engine. I drove it a couple months when it was cooler outside and had no problems. Now that it was warmer outside I turned the a/c on. While idling for a period of time, I saw a big puff of white smoke come from the engine. I subsequently determined that the air conditioner relief valve released some Freon since the a/c was overheating because the cooling fans were not coming on.

Now the problem: I cannot figure out why both cooling fans will not operate. I jumped the wires to the fans and they both run properly. I checked both fuses in the fuse box and they are fine. I also replaced all three relays in the fuse box, but the fans still will not turn on. All the wires are wrapped up, so I do not believe that there is a broken wire, besides the car is too new. It is my understanding that the passenger side cooling fan is suppose to operate when the a/c is turned on, so the problem cannot be the coolant sending unit. I was told that there is suppose to be another cooling fan relay somewhere, but I have not been able to locate it. Does anyone know where that relay is located? Also, any additional help on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know what else to check. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:29 AM

The days of simple wiring on vehicles are gone. Since this could involve communication between various control modules and the PCM , it would probably be best if the vehicle were checked with a scan tool capable of checking the system for wiring, communication and responses.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 AM

I'm having the same issue in my v6 2008 escape! It blows great at speed but when at file it blows hot. The fan on right or passenger side isn't working but fan is fine. Must be something just like your issue.