Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Electrical issues with 2007 Ford Escape AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Default Electrical issues with 2007 Ford Escape AWD

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 Escape with about 140,000 miles on it. Everything was working fine with the vehicle up until about April of this past year. The engine would randomly stall out when driving at highway speeds. This led to strange electrical issues where all the gauges would go down to zero, all dash lights would go out, and all internal electrical components would turn off.... for about 5 seconds, then all would come back to normal. This then led to the battery dying overnight. All of these things happened one at a time over the course of about a month, and currently all of these issues plague my vehicle. It has been sitting unused since April and I'd like to figure out some resolution as to why this is all happening. After all these things started happening, it was the slow and expensive process of replacing the main suspects one by one... the battery is new as of spring time, a new alternator was put in following the battery, the primary battery lines were inspected and all looked good. The vehicle can be jump started and it will idle perfectly, but when I accelerate down the driveway (or even if I just rev the engine in park), when the tach hits exactly 3000 RPM it's like the vehicle's electrical system shuts down. All gauges go to zero, all internal power is lost, and 5 seconds later it all comes back alive. This happens every single time I hit 3000 RPM. I have not taken it on the road so I have not experienced any further stalling, but I assume that may still be an issue as well.

Can anyone thing of any reason why this might be happening? I'd like to sell the vehicle but electrical gremlins are a big turn-off.

Thanks!!
-Dave

Old 04-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Default 2007 Escape electrical Issue

I have a similar issue. When driving, the dash goes out along with the electrical power steering for 5 to 30 seconds, then comes back on. I can live without the dash for a few, but with the wife usually driving this Ford vehicle, she is worried about losing the power steering at the wrong time. Can't blame her.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when the electrics shut down or when they come back on. Sometimes the "wrench" light comes on on the dash, but taking it to ford to have a code read, there are no codes.

Anybody else having a similar issue? Maybe clean all battery cables and grounding points? Battery is newer, cables not, but are kept clean routinely. No other electrical problems, always starts and runs fine, but has this gremlin....

Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 AM
Default 3000rpm

Yeah... mine happens at 3000RPM, without fail. Everything goes out for a few seconds and then comes back. Luckily I haven't lost power steering or brakes. Literally no explanations offered except the suggestion to start swapping things. So far, new alternator, battery, cables - but the problem persists. Last hope is a new computer, but I don't feel like spending more money on tests.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:03 AM

Mine just runs fine and then..."Boom, Boom Out goes the lights" so the song lyrics go. So intermittent that getting to a dealer when it happens is almost impossible as it comes back on fairly quickly. Engine keeps on running, driving ok except for the lack of power steering and the dash. No explanation for it.