Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Ford Escape 2014 coolant problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 10:00 AM
Default Ford Escape 2014 coolant problems

I have started noticing in my garage puddles of liquid somewhere under the engine. Occasionally. The coolant levels were more or less stable, perhaps I should have asked mechanics if they top it off during oil change. Then one day while driving steam started coming out from underneath the hood - some coolant hose "unhooked" according to the mechanic and coolant ran out. I towed it, they replaced the hose, pressure checked it, everything checked out. Then I started noticing coolant level dropping. Took it to Ford - they said it was cracked coolant reservoir, replaced it, fine. Coolant levels were still dropping. Now while driving engine warning came up that power was reduced due to the hot engine. I check - no coolant in the reservoir. I tried filling it and I literally see it dripping underneath the left side where the reservoir is as I fill it up. So I could not drive it, towed it to the mechanics.

Here is the problem - mechanics can't see anything while pressure testing. They see it dripping real time underneath the reservoir area while filling but pressure test is fine!!! I do not understand this, they do not understand this, while they are still working on it - can anybody provide any suggestions about the problem? Seems like it started much earlier with all these mishaps, a pressure buildup or something. Once in a while I would see a ghost check engine light come up and disappear, now I assume it is related to the same problem

thank you

Old 04-28-2024, 11:57 AM

Sometimes,,,,,,,we need to check with a pressure test when the engine is cold because that is when things contract and leaks are easier to pin down.

It might be a good idea to remove the spark plugs and look for burned coolant. It could be coming from an intake gasket leak.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:00 AM

Well, it appears that my coolant tank is very pressurized. I see no liquid, I open the lid and liquid rushes back. That is related to my leaks appearing all the time. Anybody has an idea what can presurise the coolant tank, e.g. what leak in the system?

Old 05-08-2024, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Sometimes,,,,,,,we need to check with a pressure test when the engine is cold because that is when things contract and leaks are easier to pin down.

It might be a good idea to remove the spark plugs and look for burned coolant. It could be coming from an intake gasket leak.
Would intake gasket leak pressurize the coolant tank? I do not see anything funny with oil, e.g. increase in oil levels