Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Inverter for emergency power

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 10:54 PM
Default Inverter for emergency power

Hurricane season just started in Florida. How big an inverter can I run with the engine running? (2018 2.0t Titanium) The limiting factor is alternator current output. I have a high quality Cotek 3000W inverter. How much wattage can I run with it? And how long can the car run at idle speed sitting in the driveway? I hope to be able to run a refrigerator and swap to a small AC and a few lights.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:03 AM

One main question is how much does the alternator put out and at what RPM.

It would help if we had that info ,plus how much does the small A/C unit pull, how much does the refrig require and approx wattage of the lights you plan to use at one time.

If we add up the wattage to run those we can compare how much the alternator can constantly deliver. 3000 watts can build up pretty quick.

If you want to run the vehicle at idle , I don't think there will be enough to convert to AC power needed.

Something else to think about , letting that engine sitting and idling for a lot of hours can bring up some problems too.

The info we need from the A/C unit and refrig are probably stamped on an info plate on the units. They usually list the amperage consumed on the spec/decal plate.
With that info we can calculate the wattage required.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by sharpstick
Hurricane season just started in Florida. How big an inverter can I run with the engine running? (2018 2.0t Titanium) The limiting factor is alternator current output. I have a high quality Cotek 3000W inverter. How much wattage can I run with it? And how long can the car run at idle speed sitting in the driveway? I hope to be able to run a refrigerator and swap to a small AC and a few lights.
My 09 hybrid (2.5L engine) has no issue to run a 1kw inverter to power a 1/3hp air compressor. Not sure about 3KW but I guess you can just plug and try.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:09 AM

The big question here is not that it can run the air compressor, but for how long? The inverter will supply the power you require as long as the battery and alternator can supply the power it requires, but after the battery gets run down , can the alternator alone handle the required power ?

Old 07-17-2022, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
The big question here is not that it can run the air compressor, but for how long? The inverter will supply the power you require as long as the battery and alternator can supply the power it requires, but after the battery gets run down , can the alternator alone handle the required power ?
​​​​​​I had no issue for an hour but mine is 1/3 hp. My car doesn't have alternator though