Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Need help with p0352 p0354 and no ac

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 10:04 AM
Default Need help with p0352 p0354 and no ac

Im trying to help a lady thats retiring by trouble shooting her 2005 escape v6.. It has those two codes, I replaced all the coils and its not any better. The same two holes misfiring. She also claims the ac worked before, but its not now, coincidence? This is her only vehicle so she is walking to work at the moment. Any tips on how to diagnose this?

Thank you

Old 08-19-2022, 05:40 PM

The suspect coils could have been swapped with other cylinders, rechecking the codes again, saving her the unnecessary expense. Hopefully you used Motorcraft coils and not aftermarket ones. Save the old coils!
The other items to check that could set those codes are bad spark plugs for cylinders 2 and 4, faulty coil wiring/connectors for the suspect cylinders or a leak with the intake manifold. Keep in mind you have 4 working cylinders meaning you can substitute parts from working cylinders instead of parts guessing.

I wouldn't worry about the a/c right now till you can get a good running 6 cylinder engine to run that compressor.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:42 PM

So Ive traced wires and checked power, and the ecu is not trying to make those two cylinders fire, no signal coming out of the ecu.

Looks like i need to source a new ecu, any recommendations?

Old 08-20-2022, 03:38 AM

Missing signals? What are you actually seeing? what equipment do you have to see these signals?

It could be possible but I would want to rule out all possibilities before pointing the finger at one of the most reliable parts on the vehicle.

Old 08-20-2022, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by raski
Missing signals? What are you actually seeing? what equipment do you have to see these signals?

It could be possible but I would want to rule out all possibilities before pointing the finger at one of the most reliable parts on the vehicle.
I made sure the wires at the coil and good all the way to the plug. Ohmed. And everything is exactly like this video shows. My test light wouldn’t show when the coil wire would fire. But everything else is identical

Old 08-20-2022, 12:27 PM

What the PCM does is provide the ground for the coil to fire at the correct time.

If you have a test lite to use it is simple to verify.
Clip the test lite to the battery positive terminal and place the probe end in the signal wire (ground) that comes from the PCM to the respective coil .
If the light flashes when the engine is running ,the PCM is providing the ground signal . if not , MUST verify signal is actually coming out of the PCM because if it is , there is/are open connections.to the coils in question.
Might be a better choice to have a shop do this for you .

Old 08-21-2022, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
What the PCM does is provide the ground for the coil to fire at the correct time.

If you have a test lite to use it is simple to verify.
Clip the test lite to the battery positive terminal and place the probe end in the signal wire (ground) that comes from the PCM to the respective coil .
If the light flashes when the engine is running ,the PCM is providing the ground signal . if not , MUST verify signal is actually coming out of the PCM because if it is , there is/are open connections.to the coils in question.
Might be a better choice to have a shop do this for you .
my test light doesn’t work on this. So I ohmed the wires from the Ecu to the coils. All are perfect. Ecu isn’t sending the signal.

Old 08-21-2022, 05:08 AM

If the type test light you have doesn't work,you can verify the same test with a simple voltmeter.

With the key on you should have 12 volts coming into and out of the coil.
If the ECU is grounding the coil when cranking over the engine , the reading at the ground side of the coil should drop . Does it?

Old 08-21-2022, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
If the type test light you have doesn't work,you can verify the same test with a simple voltmeter.

With the key on you should have 12 volts coming into and out of the coil.
If the ECU is grounding the coil when cranking over the engine , the reading at the ground side of the coil should drop . Does it?

Ill give it a try, if the wire is 100% making contact from the ecu to the coil, and its not firing, Im not sure what this test will prove? Out of curiosity

Old 09-29-2022, 12:51 PM

Here is what I ended up doing, so I made a video to hopefully help someone else!