Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2004 Explorer starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Default 2004 Explorer starter

My Explorer would not start, starter dead. Checked many things. When I was about to give up I tried it one more time. I stepped hard on the brake and heard a click (whats up with that?) and turned the key to start and it started up right away. How come? Will it happen again? It starts up every time now, but will it when I am away from home? Thanks

Old 11-30-2018, 03:12 AM

When you were attempting to start the engine did you try any other position like neutral ? We are thinking your vehicle has an automatic transmission, is this correct?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:27 PM

It has an auto trans. I tried stating it in neutral. It only started after I stepped hard on the brakes, and there was a clicking sound, then it started right away on the first turn.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 AM

A lot of folks have no idea what we are talking about when we mention "GROUNDS".
A ground is the other half of the complete circuit from the component back to the power source.
An electrical component can have a good power source to it , but the rest of the path back to the power supply if incomplete or restricted affects the flow of electricity to complete the circuit. That flow can affect whether the component will operate properly , if at all. Soooo, a good part of the time the return path, the ground side , is usually through the vehicle sheet metal, and /or with a wire connection to heavier metal components back to the negative side (in this case) of the battery. Since the metal part of the vehicle is usually used as a ground path the connections go unnoticed and can become corroded. That is why they need to be removed and cleaned.

The condition mentioned above can be a good example of a poor grounding connection through the normal anticipated path and when stepping on the brake pedal ,now an alternate path has been temporarily made which would allow the circuit to be complete. Possible cause and solution, check the ground wires and connections for the starting system components.
Sorry for the long winded post !

Old 12-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Thank you! That makes sense. That's the way I get my camper electrical system to work. It almost always the ground. I'm thinking that the click on the brake has something to do with the cruse control.Anyway thank you and Merry Christmas