Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

2021 Explorer Trailer Hitch Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 04:52 PM
Default 2021 Explorer Trailer Hitch Install

I purchased a 2021 Explorer with out the trailer package. The dealership told me I could have one installed at a later date. When I contacted them to have it installed, they told me it was impossible. I called Ford and they said that it can not be installed. U-haul said they can put one on, but that will void my warranty. Does anyone have any insight on why Ford is unable to install a hitch?

*edit- I would need the entire assembly installed. It did not come with the factory trailing package.

Last edited by BluExp; 08-20-2021 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-20-2021, 06:05 PM

So looking at the workshop manual there is a trailer hitch so it obviously can be purchased with a trailer hitch from the factory. However I do not see a trailer hitch installation anywhere in the accessory installation section. I know for the 2011-2019 you have to cut the bumper to install the ford authorized hitch. I do not know why the 2020+ Explorer does not have the option to add a hitch from the dealer. I suppose it could be due to the fact that there is way more electrical sensors that the hitch could interfere with and the safety modules may need different programming to know there is a trailer attached and to deactivate certain sensors, I had one customer with a Uhaul hitch installed on their Edge and it blocked the foot activated tailgate opening sensor.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:25 PM

I do not have the foot activated tailgate. I am able to find companies who make what is needed to install.

This is what I would have expected to be installed.

Old 08-21-2021, 01:28 PM

A little FYI.
FORDS do not like aftermarket add on s
There is a lot more to a towing package than most folks realize. In newer vehicles the relays and protections are incorporated in any factory installation.
Aftermarket suppliers don't take into account the electronics involved and only sell the system. After that it's yours" and so are the problems.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:22 PM

I guess the main problem here is the lack of training Ford provides to their sales people. I was specifically told that I would be able to have Ford install the hitch after I bought it. I obviously thought if anybody could install a Ford trailer package it would be Ford. I didn’t realize that they were not capable of working on their own brand. Maybe they will figure it out in a few years.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:08 PM

A different Ford dealership might be worth a try..

Old 09-06-2021, 08:01 PM

I just bought a 2021 XLT with Class III towing package, and although I don't know what model you bought or what options you picked, to me it looks like both the 200A
and the 202A both include the trailer and I'm not sure if that is just the rear sway bar or something that's in the electronics.
I've bought Chevy and Dodge pickups and added OE trailer hitches along with the OE factory wire harness that connected into the factory wiring harness. I would think it strange that if all you needed was the OE hitch and OE wiring harness to make it work. The factory adder for the Class III towing "Package" is only $545 so I don't think is anything other than the hitch and wiring harness. You might go to a Ford dealer and talk with their parts manager, or call one of the online Ford dealers that offer a discount on parts and call them. One that I have bought a few parts from is LevittownFord.com or some of the other online dealers nearer you. I just did a quick look although didn't see anything but I only have access to their accessory catalog. Just a thought.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:11 AM

Ok so I was curious and looked at the wiring diagrams between a 2015 and 2021 Explorer for the trailer wiring. I have installed the Ford authorized dealer accessory trailer hitch/wiring package on a few 2015 generation Explorers before.
I found that the 2021 has a specific module for the trailer where as the 2015 does not. The 2015 just needs the physical hitch and to locate under the vehicle the wiring harness connector for the trailer adapter and plug is in, where as if one were to add a towing package to a non towing package 2021 Explorer they would have to purchase, install,and program a new module, This module has three connectors and it is possible that you would also need to buy and install a wiring harness. As with anything it is possible with enough money but it would not be cheep or easy.

Like any other vehicle there are aftermarket options to add the hitch and lighting but the vehicle will not behave how @olerodder 's explorer does. For example the back up sensors will go off the entire time the vehicle is in reverse and a trailer is attached, there are various ABS features that activate when a trailer is attached, also most tow packages come with stronger rear springs, rear sway bar and links to better handle the weight of the trailer.
One a used car I can understand adding a hitch later if you want it but when purchasing a brand new vehicle if you know you will want a trailer hitch it is always worth buying it from the factory with it.
It is possible you could complain to the GM of the dealer you bought it from and depending on how many miles are on the vehicle they may buy it back and sell you exactly what you want, you would of course have to pay more though.
Best of luck with this @BluExp

Edit - I should say that adding a hitch will not void your warranty, there will be systems like the backup sensors that will not work correctly that you will have to live with, now if the aftermarket hitch or wiring causes other parts to fail then yes you are responsible for those otherwise your warranty is intact.

Last edited by scott.butler4; 09-07-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:45 AM

I added a tow hitch with 2" receiver aftermarket on my 2018 XLT 2.3L EcoB. But all I wanted it for was to put a bike rack or small flat bed moving trailer, or maybe even a small camper. The hitch was rated at 5000lbs, but I won't go anywhere near that b/c the engine is only a 2.3L w/ EcoBoost. Newer cars and trucks have tuned engines and other systems to handle the weight and maneuvering, and adding a significant amount of weight can cause issues. A factory installed tow package will include the tuning (as well as a really strong pitch to go to a bigger engine size - in my case - ha ha).
Knowledge and Care is what you "paid for" by not buying the overly priced factory installed version, so your decision to go aftermarket should include serious consideration and research in what you want to use it for. Small loads? Campers? Something bigger.
https://camperguide.org/camper-weight/