Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

99 explorer bearing rubbing on shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Default 99 explorer bearing rubbing on shaft

I replaced my front rotor and bearings. While test driving as i come to a complete stop i feel vibration on the brake pedal and a light grinding noise. When i pulled it back apart the shaft had a black ring around it as well as the bearing. Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks Joe

Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Some questions,
Where on the shaft did you notice the black ring?
Could it be lubricant leaking from somewhere above the ring? Did you install a new seal when you assembled everything?
Because we cannot actually see everything you need to be more specific and provide as much info as you can so we can get some kind of picture.
There could be some problem with the wheel speed sensor setting off the Anti lock brake system .
Can you see anything that could be causing the grinding sound?

Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Some questions,
Where on the shaft did you notice the black ring?
Could it be lubricant leaking from somewhere above the ring? Did you install a new seal when you assembled everything?
Because we cannot actually see everything you need to be more specific and provide as much info as you can so we can get some kind of picture.
There could be some problem with the wheel speed sensor setting off the Anti lock brake system .
Can you see anything that could be causing the grinding sound?
Its the inner bearing that is rubbing on the shaft. Both the bearing and the shaft have black rings. How do i upload pictures?

Old 04-01-2017, 01:53 PM

think i figured out how to upload photos

Attached Thumbnails 99 explorer bearing rubbing on shaft-20170401_132958.jpg   99 explorer bearing rubbing on shaft-20170401_133022.jpg  
Old 04-01-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JG5894
think i figured out how to upload photos
took it to a local shop and its not the bearing apparantly the noise i am hearing and feeling is the abs kicking in. They were about to close so they could not fully diagnose it.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the pix, maybe we can help.
That steel sealing ring on the spindle that the bearing goes against, and the seal rides on, may have an indexing pin under it . When you have the rotor removed that ring may have moved away from the final position. Take it off, if it comes loose and check for an indexing pin and hole in the back of the ring, then reinstall it making sure to have it fully seated against the spindle. If it was not positioned fully it could have kept the sensor from working correctly and dropping out electrically causing the ABS system to react as if the wheel was locking up due to the loss of the signal.
Let us know what you find, will check back later .

Old 04-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Thanks for the pix, maybe we can help.
That steel sealing ring on the spindle that the bearing goes against, and the seal rides on, may have an indexing pin under it . When you have the rotor removed that ring may have moved away from the final position. Take it off, if it comes loose and check for an indexing pin and hole in the back of the ring, then reinstall it making sure to have it fully seated against the spindle. If it was not positioned fully it could have kept the sensor from working correctly and dropping out electrically causing the ABS system to react as if the wheel was locking up due to the loss of the signal.
Let us know what you find, will check back later .
Well after getting the abs checked out all sensors are working properly. Ended up unplugging it for now. Any ideas?