Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Desounding ajar chime behind speedometer. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 08:02 PM
Angry Desounding ajar chime behind speedometer. HELP!

Hello my fellow Ford Explorer owners. I hope someone in here can possibly help me figure this issue. I drive a 2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer with about 142,000 miles. Last year, I started to hear a low DE -sounding sound behind the speedometer. I notice it will occur when I press the gas pedal. Roughly about 2000 RPM steadily. This only occurs driving on the road. It begins to make a low chime sound. Once I give it a little gas pass 2000 RPM's it completely goes away. I tried changing the whole cluster to see if that works. And it still was making the sound. Eventually, I reinstalled the original back into the dash. I also, tried adjusting the gas pedal position. And it still nothing worked. Also, tired experimenting in park position. So, finally I gave it a steady accelerating gas to rev up the engine / RPMS and to the surprise. It doesn't happen at all. So could it be a wiring issue behind the gas pedal or wiring behind the cluster ? If anyone has had this issue please share some insight. Appreciate it. Be safe on the road.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:09 AM

If you tap the brake pedal when you can create the noise , does it change or go away?

Old 04-28-2023, 01:15 PM
Unhappy No change with brake pedal

Hello Hanky. No there's no issue with the brake pedal. It work perfectly fine and functional. It seems it's connected to the gas pedal somehow.

Old 04-29-2023, 12:40 PM

Because many folks describe the same noise differently I wanted to be reasonably sure the noise you described was not coming from the left front wheel area which can sound like it is behind the dash.. If a brake caliper was dragging it could produce similar sounds. When you step on the throttle it creates a load on the driving wheels and if it is a caliper problem tapping on the brake momentarily stops it.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:22 PM
Red face A possibility ?

Hello Hanky. I never thought it could possibly be a caliper. The sound is exactly what you would hear when you unlock the car and open the door. That exact chime is what I'm hearing. If I can record it I will try and post it. Do you suggest going to a mechanic to get a electrical diagnose ?

Old 04-29-2023, 04:37 PM

Is it the chime that you would get if you left the key in the vehicle ig sw ?

Old 04-30-2023, 01:06 PM
Default Not the same sound

Hanky, its not the same sound you would get leaving the key in the ignition. When the truck is on. It resembles the sound when the driver door opens. Also, resembles the sound when you press the buttons on the dash middle console. Activating the 4x4 buttons , hitting reset button/ info button, etc.