Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

How to buy new tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Default How to buy new tires

I would appreciate some advice about how to shop for and buy new tires for my 2013 Ford Explorer. First of all, I have to say that I don't really like my dealership so I would like to shop elsewhere. My last maintenance check up the dealership noted my tires are in the "red zone" on their paperwork and recommend replacing tires at 6 years old regardless of wear. I have been monitoring my tire tread myself and they still pass the Abe Lincoln test but not by much so I do believe it is time to start shopping.

I find it so confusing to shop for tires. It is also very difficult to compare pricing when additional charges are sometimes quoted and sometimes not (balancing, alignment, etc. What is necessary and what should be included?)

Can someone give me an idea of how to know what I need for my explorer (city and highway driving in Florida...no snow or off road shenanigans) and how to shop for the best deal without skimping on quality?

Thanks for educating me.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:17 PM

Just go to any reputable tire shop; they’re not out to rip people off. With the internet these days, their pricing eill sll be relatively similar. A Ford dealer is different; their prices are always much higher

edit:just noticed this was an old post. Just joined this forum

Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 PM

Hi and welcome !
Don't feel badly, there are some folks willing to help quite a ways back. Don't like to pour water on someone's sincere replies , but sometimes remind them the previous poster probably sold the vehicle. Good move you caught it.
Even in Florida there are some tire shops that will take advantage of an unknowing customer.
Looking forward to your participation !