Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Need Help re: Battery Cable Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Susan Greer
I have the materials (both colored cable, ground lead, connectors though I'll need more, and shrink sleeves) and tools (basic tools for automotive work, soldering iron, a heat gun to shrink the sleeves), I just lack time, motivation, and a place to do the work (the apartment complex has a problem with any automotive work, even though I won't be making any oily mess). I tried to talk a mechanic that I went to for front end work, to do it, but he wants me to have the whole assembly. If I'm going to make the whole assembly, which will probably require me to remove the old one, since I can't find any schematics, I might as well put the new one on myself. One big problem right now, though, is that my arthritis has decided to ramp it up a bit, and I can no longer close my pointer finger (on my dominant hand), and can't apply any pressure between first finger and thumb; make pincer grasping anything a problem (I'm just going to have to learn how to grasp things with my thumb and middle finger. I hate getting old, lol
Forget the soldering iron, it won't get the area hot enough to allow the solder to flow to do a good job. If you physically can't do it, take it somewhere to have the work done. Nobody needs intermittent electrical problems away from home.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 PM

Most shops are not going to want to build a harness since they will then be responsible should anything happen down the road.

When I google "2000 explorer battery harness" multiple ones come up but I do not know which fix your vehicle, if the ford dealer can give you a part number you can search for that.

If you are capable you could go to a junk yard and if they have a matching vehicle you could carefully remove it and bring it to a shop to install or install it yourself.

I do not know how large/complexed your vehicles battery harness is but I would not try build one unless you are very good at electrical work.