Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 4.2l f150 flooded

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Default 02 4.2l f150 flooded

My aunts 02 f150 got about 4 feet of water and she gave it to me for free. First thing i did was pull the plugs out and shot all of the water out of the cylinders. then flushed the oil and put new plugs. then i dropped the gas tank and flushed it even though water didnt get in it. then i changed the rear end fluid and we towed it home to my house. I put the tank back in and got it started but it ran like crap and was shaking like crazy. I put the drive shaft back in and flushed the tranny and got it working. The problem now is that the truck is only running on 3 cylinders. I can pull the wires off of 3 plugs and the idle does not change. All 6 cylinders are getting spark and have new plugs. Idk if 3 of the injectors are bad or maybe wires are bad or maybe the computer is bad. I am new to fords so any advice would be helpful thanks

Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM

I don't know if you could call this advice, but sometimes more is gained by asking questions than by making statements.
How long was the vehicle left with the water in the cyls?
Do you have decent compression in the cyls that are not contributing?
If you are able to swap an injector from a working cyl with one that is non working can you do that?
Has anyone tried to start the truck before you pulled the plugs?
I'm sure there are more questions to be asked, but the answers to the above will help.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Idk maybe 2 weeks tbh. My compression tester is broken so I couldnt really tell you if it made good compression. My aunt might have tried to turn it over and bent valves. I might do a leak down test tomorrow. I do not have any injectors and dont know how to get that intake the is squeezed to the firewall out to get the fuel rails off. Any way to check them why they are on?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned with injectors just yet.
There exists a good possibility valves are stuck rusted open.
Sometimes unplugging an injector will help isolate a possible injector problem.
Best to wait until compression/leak down test is done. Let's hope the possible damage isn't too extensive.