Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 3.7 flex AC compressor bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 09:34 PM
Default 2012 3.7 flex AC compressor bad?

Hey there. I have a 2012 3.7 flex fuel XLT F150 with AC issues. The AC stop working all together, no cold air. Checked several things: fuses, freon, relay…all are ok. One day I noticed the belt coming from the main crank to the compressor had been torn apart and had broken. Replaced belt, then noticed the clutch hub was not moving entirely. The outer plate was moving but the inner plate was not. Well, turns out the rubber seal between the outer and inner plate had disintegrated. This was keeping the inner plate from turning.
After an extensive search I found a replacement clutch hub, replaced it very easily and not more than 10 mins and the AC blowing nice cold air, the seal between the plates completely melted and the inner plate siezed again. No more AC. Does this mean my compressor is seized? Any ideas?! Thanks in advance.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:15 AM

Before offering any suggestions, what are the pressure readings of your A/C system.
Trying to work without that knowledge is like working blind.
There could be more than one problem. If the clutch is receiving insufficient power and is being allowed to slip, that could generate heat and destroy the clutch assy.
There is also a specified gap between the components that might be involved.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Before offering any suggestions, what are the pressure readings of your A/C system.
Trying to work without that knowledge is like working blind.
There could be more than one problem. If the clutch is receiving insufficient power and is being allowed to slip, that could generate heat and destroy the clutch assy.
There is also a specified gap between the components that might be involved.
My pressure was at 50 after replaced the clutch plate. At first diagnosis, when I thought my freon was low, it was reading 30, but the clutch was only engaging some of the time. While adding freon, the readings were at 30, I added some freon and got it up to 50, then the gauge pinned max. This was just after I put the new belt on (first thing I repaired.) The change in pressure happened only minutes after I put the new belt on. It was then I noticed the center clutch plate was not moving. So, added new belt, added freon, pressure went from 50 to full max after original clutch plate stopped moving.
next step was adding new clutch plate.
worked for about 10 mins. In that 10 mins, checked pressure, it was 50. Then, bam, same thing happened to new clutch plate.
have not checked pressure again, but I can assume it maxed again because thats what happened previously.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:03 AM

From a brief look at the info you provided,
You need to do some homework because the first thing I believe is wrong is you seem to be overcharging the system.
The homework is , how an automotive system is supposed to work and what are consider normal readings.
You are shooting in the dark and this is going to get very expensive.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:23 AM

From a brief look at the info you provided,
You need to do some homework because the first thing I believe is wrong is you seem to be overcharging the system.
The homework is , how an automotive system is supposed to work and what are consider normal readings.
You are shooting in the dark and this is going to get very expensive.
How an automobile system is supposed to work? So you are saying I know nothing about automobile systems because I am having issues with my AC system? 50 is a standard reading and in fact normal for this system. Thanks for the condescending reply brother!

Old 06-06-2021, 11:27 AM

I did not wish to get involved in all the things you should know before tackling A/C work.
Sorry if you misinterpreted my suggestion.
Where did you get the info that 50 is normal for your system.?
There is such a thing as a pressure/temperature relationship for refrigerants. You may be overlooking that consideration.
When we are sure of what we are doing we don't mind what we might consider "condescending" remarks. It goes with the territory. AND if I offended you, I apologize.
I felt it was more beneficial to suggest addl homework because Something did not seem right based on the info you provided.
We have a choice here , either swallow our pride and get to the root cause of the problem or rejecting what might be helpful .
The choice is yours, I hope you might reconsider and approach this with an open mind, thanks.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:47 AM

I did not wish to get involved in all the things you should know before tackling A/C work.
Sorry if you misinterpreted my suggestion.
Where did you get the info that 50 is normal for your system.?
There is such a thing as a pressure/temperature relationship for refrigerants. You may be overlooking that consideration.
When we are sure of what we are doing we don't mind what we might consider "condescending" remarks. It goes with the territory. AND if I offended you, I apologize.
I felt it was more beneficial to suggest addl homework because Something did not seem right based on the info you provided.
We have a choice here , either swallow our pride and get to the root cause of the problem or rejecting what might be helpful .
The choice is yours, I hope you might reconsider and approach this with an open mind, thanks.
You did not offend me. I realize you are making suggestions based on my information provided. The 50 came from an online reference from a nominal chart. If I were unable to swallow my pride I would not ask for help. Pretty simple really.
Again, I realize there are people out there that know what they are doing, which is why I am here. I dont need a life lesson on how all that stuff works, just help understanding the root of the problem. If you care not to reply then that of course is up to you.
1. 1 month ago, realized AC was not working.
2. Looked under hood, saw the compressor/crank belt was not there, it was disintegrated laying on top of the frame.
3. Replaced belt.
4. Checked pressure, it read 30, added freon until reached 50.
5. Started truck, AC worked for a few minutes, then I heard a loud noise, gauge still
attached to low pressure line, gauge pegged.
6. Looked down at clutch hub, noticed center was not moving.
7. Did some research and found a video showing how the seal can go bad and hub can be replaced.
8. Order new hub, replaced. Started truck with AC on full blast, AC worked for 10
mins. With those ten min, checked pressure, was still at 50.
9. Let truck sit overnight, started truck, AC worked for 2 mins, then stopped working. Loud noise coming from compressor. Checked pressure, fully pegged on gauge. No longer 50 but infinite (same as before when I hear noise).
Noticed new hub center was not moving, seal was melting. No AC, new clutch hub seal destroyed.
10. Posted to this forum.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:22 PM

For what it is worth,
A/C systems can do some serious damage if you do not take precautions and are not experienced in what and what not to do.

Usually if the compressor belt gets torn apart there is a problem with the compressor. Unfortunately it does not end there..
By the time the compressor seizes , "stuff" gets distributed into the system , now the entire system needs to be flushed , compressor and some late model condensers dryer/accumulator also need to be replaced.. This is not something the average DIY er has the equipment and/or knowledge to perform. I was hoping you would at least double check your info and realize this
.If you have the equip, we should be able to assist you, but if not , this is best left to someone that does this every day.
Please , don't allow yourself to get into trouble thinking everything on line is exactly what you need.
Again, please take it slow and do as much learning as you can and even then you will need some special equip to do the job.
You can expect this to cost a bit of $$$ to straighten out.
I hope someone else will respond and reassure you as to what is now required. Thanks for coming to the forum.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:29 PM

I understand. I appreciate the reply. I have somewhere I can take the truck and get it sorted. In the past, I have owned mostly later model vehicles. This Ford and it systems are a new thing to me. I miss my 79. Haha..