Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Economy fuel rail pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Default Economy fuel rail pressure sensor

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but have always lurked and researched previous posts. I have found this site to be very informative and it has provided me with many great directions.
I feel I should contribute my trials as it could help someone with a similar situation.
First and foremost, I am NOT a certified mechanic but a weekend and off hours wrencher. I do try to save money where possible. All the work on the vehicles, I attempt to complete myself. I have spent many hours with research but I know that is just the tip of the iceberg. The vehicles I have worked on is 2001 Ford Focus, 1999 Ford Expedition, 2000 Ford Explorer, 2003 Ford Escape, and 2005 Ford F150.
Now my story... My 2005 F150 stalled on me at a Walmart parking lot. Had crank but No start. Towed it back home. Put the fuel pressure gauge on and it read 0 psi. I assumed it was my fuel pump. I replaced the pump and again tried to read pressure. Still a 0 psi. I then assumed my injectors had a leak. I began to dissassemble my my fuel rail and this is where I found the discrepancy. I disconnected the Fuel Rail Pressure Temperature Sensor and found fuel in the vacuum line. I then opened the throttle body and looked down the plenum, I wrapped a rag around a stick and inserted it through the throttle body. I then withdrawed the rag and noticed a fuel soaked rag about 3 inches deep. (My numerous attempts to start the vehicle)
Now about 2 weeks prior I installed a new part,...the Fuel Rail Temperature Pressure Sensor. This is where me trying to save money actually incurred more unexpected expenses and unexpected work. I purchased this part from the internet for about 35.00 and OEM on the Net sells for about 115.00.
"Trying to be frugal is not always optimal."
I had to completely remove the intake plenum, drain all the accumulated fuel, remove the spark plugs, blow out the cylinders, blow out the intake ports, change the oil, buy new intake gaskets (which was only available as a complete set), and finally meticulously reassemble the vehicle.
Finally after two days of unneeded work, my truck was running again.
Lesson learned (the hard way). For now on, OEM for me.
READERS..... Please be wary of this aftermarket part!!!! Don't let this happen to you.
​​​​​​​

Old 01-16-2017, 03:33 AM

Welcome to the club !
We don't always have the option to purchase OEM(Original Equip Manuf) parts but sooner or later trying to save a customer or one' self a few bucks almost always manages to turn around and bite us. Thanks for sharing the info with us and happy you were able to get the problem corrected.