Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Exclamation Electrical

So I have a 99 f150 with a 5.4 in it. There's been no aftermarket work done to it. I go to get in my truck last night to go to the store, (mind you, she started up and ran just fine earlier that morning). Without putting my key in the ignition, my radio is on, my vents are blowing out air, my oil pressure light is on, and so is my service engine soon light. Go to actually start the truck and she doesn't want to turn over. Fuel pump is kicking on, and all gauges are working. Figured fine, I will check the oil level and see if maybe that's what is throwing it off. I just got an oil change done maybe 3 months ago, and haven't gotten anywhere close to 3k miles yet for a new one. NO OIL in the truck at all. Took 4qrts before I finally saw anything on the dipstick. Still no change. So I disconnect the battery, for maybe 10 minutes, hook it back up, truck starts, but things are still off and weird. This morning, she starts up, but once again, my radio and all that jazz is back on, with no key in the ignition. I'm driving to work, no issues, then next thing I know, my 4x4 light keeps coming on, but the fuse was removed MONTHS ago, so it cannot engage. I get to work finally, and then nothing will shut off once I turn the truck off. Lights are flickering, radio is flashing, blower for the vents won't shut off. So for the past 2 hours, the battery has been disconnected. Is there maybe an issue with the ignition switch or maybe the connector? Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited by GABRIELLEL31; 05-06-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site
Did you check to see where all the oil went? Thats a bit concerning..
Doesn’t seem likely it would be the ignition switch, but simple enough to unplug it to prove out a shorting condition. Possibly a harness chaffing issue, rodent damage or? GEM module,, can create some really weird ops if it’s had any water intrusion, corrosion internal shorting etc..Might be a good start point to check for any evidence of water streaking on in, or any visible indications it’s been wet.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:42 PM

I cannot find any leaks. I'm wondering if the shop I worked at just didn't put in the amount they should have. I know she burns oil but not to that extreme. I know I did hit some puddles here in the past few days due too so much rain. But I'm unaware of where to actually look for any of these issues. I have some basic common knowledge but getting into the more extreme parts of this I have no idea where to begin.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:22 PM

First of all it seems we have more than one problem
A problem of where the oil went if it really went someplace. You might check your last invoice for the most recent oil change and see how many qts they might have charged
you for.

I agree with Hayapower regarding the moisture intrusion theory
Has the windshield ever been replaced ?
The reason we ask is;there were problems right from the factory with F series vehicles that the windshields leaked and that moisture got into the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) under the left side of the dash just above the parking brake assy. When moisture got into that module it did some pretty strange things like you are now seeing.
The electronics work on very small voltages and the slightest bit of moisture completed circuits that should never have been completed and bingo , there they were.
Lights going on and off for no apparent reason, radio too and all sorts of crazy things that defied explanation. The fix was to replace the GEM , BUT if it was caused by a water problem, that had to be corrected before it took out another GEM module. Look for an unusual amount of rust in the area in question.

Let's wait to see what you find on both subjects and go from there,, OK ?

Last edited by hanky; 05-06-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

No credible shop would have under filled it that much..
Although,, like hanky mention, verify.
That said, if you hadn’t caught the low level, chances are fairly high the engine may have failed left unnoticed. Unless a major leak, or high consumption exists..
GEM piggy backs the interior fuse panel (CJB).. Look from the drivers foot well area with a good flashlight on up as high as possible, generally to the left of steering column. Look for any’ tracking’ on the firewall first, as well as evidence of water running down the main harness to the GEM. The intrusion seemed to plague 250up, but the CJB/GEM are mounted lower than the glass, so quite possible for it to travel where it shouldn’t be.. Sometimes a good light, and a mechanics inspection mirror poking around the backside of the Fuse box/GEM etc may help see any issues without removing components. Sometimes the CJB face may show indications of prior moisture..

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-06-2019 at 04:53 PM.