Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual transimission wont go into gear -f150 straight 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Default manual transimission wont go into gear -f150 straight 6

I have a 94 F150 with a staight six and a manual transimission. Here about a month ago the truck was running great and then two of the gears went out in it. So I went to picknpull and got a transmission. I have the transmission in, but now it wont go into gear. you can feel the gears when you move it around but it wont in. Anyone have any tips for me to try before I get another transmission????

Old 04-27-2018, 12:20 PM

There are a few things we need to know.
First did you try to shift the trans into all the gears "before" installing the trans in the truck? If not , we don't know if the problem is in the trans or clutch set-up.
Does the trans go into gear with the engine off?
There are interlocks on the trans shift tower that are supposed to prevent the trans from going into more than one gear at a time. If there is a problem with those rails and the ***** and springs it could prevent getting to some gears.

If you still have your old trans you might take the tower off the replacement trans and on a clean surface check what you can find. .

The light just came on upstairs,,,,,,, did you ,or as far as you know ,
anybody have the top of the trans off? If so, there is a good possibility they did not index the forks on the shift rails into the slots of the correct gears.
Let's take things one at a time here and see just what we have /find, OK?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:36 PM

I did not try shifting the gears before I put it in. (rather dumb mistake of mine) It does not go into gear when the truck off or on. You can move it left and right in neutral, but that is it. That makes sens. The top of the transmission, as far as i can tell, has not been taken off. But when I got to it the shifting **** (the thing you bolt the shifter to) was unbolted but still on. I had to drive a long ways to get it, and it was the only one i could find. So I was skeptical about getting it, but i took my chances. THank you for your reply.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:09 PM

If you have enough room to do this and everything is moved out of the way so nothing can fall into the trans.
Remove the bolts holding the top of the shifting tower to the top of the trans and lift it up and off carefully. Don't worry nothing shoud fall off the tower piece.
You should see at least 3 forks bolted to rails under the cover. There is a good possibility the fork ears were not placed into the slots of the gears below. If you take your time you will see just where the forks go. You can't mix them up and you should see the grooves where they fit. You always have your old trans to refer to if needed ,right?
If the trans are identical you should be able to use the tower from your old trans.
Let us know how you make out, thanks.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:34 PM

Sorry have been busy over the weekend. I took the took of the transmission off like you said and and that was the problem. Someone must have gone in there and just didnt put it back together internally. I have it running now and shifting great!!!!! Thank you for all your help and advice! I appreciate it alot!!!

Old 10-09-2023, 02:03 PM
Default M5r2 5spd

Replaced release bearing,clutch,pressure plate goes into gear when off but does go into gear when it is running.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:57 AM

Something is not clear in post #6 , can you recheck ? Is the word not missing?