Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

2007 Focus Manual Transmission - Won't Go Into Gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 01:58 PM
NCC
Default 2007 Focus Manual Transmission - Won't Go Into Gear

Hi there,<br /><br />I have a 2007 Ford Focus with manual transmission, about 67K miles on it. I'm the 2nd owner and have driven it without any problems for a couple of years. <br /><br />A week ago, on a morning when it was colder than usual (I'm in FL so not that cold!), I was unable to get into any gears when I first turned the car on. I had the car towed to my garage and they said they found air in the hydraulic system and bled it and were able to get it to change gears again. Warned me that if it happened again, I might need to change the master cylinder as a first step, and if that still didn't fix it, I might need a new clutch (basically clutch slave, clutch disk, plate, bearing) but that they didn't think I needed a new clutch since it was a relatively low mileage car. They also told me to pump the clutch if it happened again to bleed the system that way and see if it would allow me to put it into gear.<br /><br />So the next couple of days I drove it about 10 miles each day without any problems. Then I didn't drive it at all over the weekend. <br /><br />This morning (Monday), same problem, the car wouldn't go into any gears. I pumped the clutch and that didn't solve anything. I let the car roll down my driveway (we're on a slight hill) and parked it in the grass so I could use another car in the meantime. When I came back about 30 minutes later, I restarted the car and tried pumping the clutch again, still to no avail. The pedal feels fine, doesn't sink to the floor and comes right back up. I wasn't sure how long to pump the clutch so I pumped it again for a full minute in case there was lots of air in the system. Still wouldn't get into gear. Got the car towed to the garage again.<br /><br />It was a couple of hours before they could get started on it but they called me right away and said that the car was going into gear just fine for them and that the pedal was fine too. So we're all stumped at this time. Since I can't pick up the car today, it'll stay there overnight and they'll check it first thing tomorrow morning to see if they have the same problem.<br /><br />I would assume that they checked the hydraulic fluid level but I didn't ask. I'll ask tomorrow. , There aren't any signs that I'm leaking any fluids, at least not in my driveway where it sat for several days. In the meantime, has anyone had the same problem? Any suggestions? Could it be as simple as a worn shifter? But then why would it work for them and not for me? I mean, I REALLY couldn't move it into ANY gears, including reverse. No grinding noise, just won't slide into the "slots".<br /><br />Sorry the post is so long, I just wanted to give all the details upfront. Also the preview shows the paragraph breaks don't work? Sorry if this ends up being a wall of text. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Default 07 focus not going in gear?

Originally Posted by NCC
Hi there,<br /><br />I have a 2007 Ford Focus with manual transmission, about 67K miles on it. I'm the 2nd owner and have driven it without any problems for a couple of years. <br /><br />A week ago, on a morning when it was colder than usual (I'm in FL so not that cold!), I was unable to get into any gears when I first turned the car on. I had the car towed to my garage and they said they found air in the hydraulic system and bled it and were able to get it to change gears again. Warned me that if it happened again, I might need to change the master cylinder as a first step, and if that still didn't fix it, I might need a new clutch (basically clutch slave, clutch disk, plate, bearing) but that they didn't think I needed a new clutch since it was a relatively low mileage car. They also told me to pump the clutch if it happened again to bleed the system that way and see if it would allow me to put it into gear.<br /><br />So the next couple of days I drove it about 10 miles each day without any problems. Then I didn't drive it at all over the weekend. <br /><br />This morning (Monday), same problem, the car wouldn't go into any gears. I pumped the clutch and that didn't solve anything. I let the car roll down my driveway (we're on a slight hill) and parked it in the grass so I could use another car in the meantime. When I came back about 30 minutes later, I restarted the car and tried pumping the clutch again, still to no avail. The pedal feels fine, doesn't sink to the floor and comes right back up. I wasn't sure how long to pump the clutch so I pumped it again for a full minute in case there was lots of air in the system. Still wouldn't get into gear. Got the car towed to the garage again.<br /><br />It was a couple of hours before they could get started on it but they called me right away and said that the car was going into gear just fine for them and that the pedal was fine too. So we're all stumped at this time. Since I can't pick up the car today, it'll stay there overnight and they'll check it first thing tomorrow morning to see if they have the same problem.<br /><br />I would assume that they checked the hydraulic fluid level but I didn't ask. I'll ask tomorrow. , There aren't any signs that I'm leaking any fluids, at least not in my driveway where it sat for several days. In the meantime, has anyone had the same problem? Any suggestions? Could it be as simple as a worn shifter? But then why would it work for them and not for me? I mean, I REALLY couldn't move it into ANY gears, including reverse. No grinding noise, just won't slide into the "slots".<br /><br />Sorry the post is so long, I just wanted to give all the details upfront. Also the preview shows the paragraph breaks don't work? Sorry if this ends up being a wall of text. Thanks.
Hi , I have a 2007 focus 5spd and now it also won't go into gear. Well I can actually get it into 2nd 4th and reverse for now, not sure how much longer? I was just curious what conclusion u came to with your problem seeing it's the closest I can find to my problem .
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thx.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:44 PM

It seems both of you have a similar problem.
From your description, it no doubt involves the clutch hydraulic system.
That system only has two hydraulic parts , the clutch master cyl and the slave cyl.
Considering the age of the vehicles and if none of the clutch hydraulic parts have ever been changed , I would think 12 years is good service from those 2 parts.
It doesn't make good sense to replace only the master, so replacing both is a wise move. The kicker is , the trans has to be removed to replace the slave cyl and it will cost a few bucks more. Still , do it right and do it once, that is what I would do.