Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radius arm bushing check

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Default radius arm bushing check

I have a 4x4 f 150 1994 that has some strange noise in the front I think usually at bumps. I want to check the radius arm bushings and I can not find any mention of how you know if it is bad or not. Or is it a deal where you just put in new bushings and see if you fixed it?
Also is it generally better to dis assemble the way ford says to or just grind off the mount rivets and replace with bolts to change the bushings??
Thanks for any tips
Grumpy

Old 11-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Generally if still using rubber units, they’ll be visibly weathered and cracked/split. If the arm ends aren’t ‘centered’ in the brackets any longer, it can be an indication that they’re failing at the core or stem. If worn through at the core, the arm will bang against the brackets on bumps. Or, if the bushings allow for the thick washer type retainers to hammer against the bracket/s. Sometimes using a long pry bar to check for excessive slop or movement helps as well. But most times,, if not split, bulged out, and still remain centered in the brackets, they may be intact..

I’ve changed my share of them, some that the brackets had be cut loose prior and bolted back in. But I found that using two chain ‘come alongs’ with one pulling from the front to pull the arm out of the bracket, and a second across to either the other arm or trucks frame to ‘guide it and maintain it’s normal width’ or span. With the ratchet chain helpers, a floor jack etc to lift/center the arms as the chain is released, and a decent pry bar, changing them out was fairly quick. Certainly faster than blowing out the rivets...

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-15-2019 at 11:53 AM.