Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unpredictable Reverberation Issue 6-Cylinder Non-Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 12:42 PM
Exclamation Unpredictable Reverberation Issue 6-Cylinder Non-Turbo

Hello, fellow F-150 enthusiasts,

I'm reaching out to this community in the hope of finding some insights into a puzzling issue I've been experiencing with my 6-cylinder non-turbo XL 2-wheel drive F-150. At speeds exceeding 50 MPH on the highway, I've been encountering a strange reverberation that lasts no longer than 1-2 seconds. The most perplexing aspect of this problem is its randomness - it occurs sporadically, and there is no identifiable pattern in terms of frequency or conditions that trigger it.

For instance, when coasting on the highway at 75 MPH during a long turn, this reverberation can happen 1-3 times. However, when driving straight at the same speed, it may occur 2-3 times per minute. This issue is not constant, as it happens less frequently when I first start driving and becomes more noticeable after the vehicle has warmed up.

I'm turning to this community in hopes that someone may have experienced a similar problem or can offer some guidance on what might be causing this reverberation issue. Your insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

2016 XL

Old 11-01-2023, 09:06 PM

When you say reverberation do you mean vibration, shudder shaking ?Can you be more specific?

Old 11-01-2023, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
When you say reverberation do you mean vibration, shudder shaking ?Can you be more specific?
It sounds like running over lined concrete. Like the ones at border highways. The ones that aren't meant to be driven over fast. You can feel it in the cabin and seats. I thought it could be the bearing hub but they were checked. So was alignment and balancing.Like placing a rubber rod on a spinning spoke. Short burst randomly

Old 11-02-2023, 01:59 PM

When this happens, do you feel anything at the steering wheel or your seat or is it just a sound you hear?

If you let off on the throttle does it go away or still present?
If you were able to place the trans in neutral does it change anything. Does it only occur only under load, while pulling/accelerating or cruising or coasting?

Has any mechanical work recently been done? If so, what , please describe?

Old 11-02-2023, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
When this happens, do you feel anything at the steering wheel or your seat or is it just a sound you hear?

If you let off on the throttle does it go away or still present?
If you were able to place the trans in neutral does it change anything. Does it only occur only under load, while pulling/accelerating or cruising or coasting?

Has any mechanical work recently been done? If so, what , please describe?
Hi again Hanky,

It is felt in the seats not so much the sterring wheel. It can be felt even when not throttling for higher speeds and does occur even when going down high at a 2% slope I dont carry loads in my bed other than a camping chair and canopy.I have not tried the neutral test yet but I will test it out as soon as I get a chance. Valve cleaning was done around 40k miles ago. Odometer is at 170k. Let know if I can provide any more info. This mystery is perplexing for me as it is my only job commuter. Looking forward to solving it.

Also, it happens alot between 1.5k rmp and 2.5 rmp. More often on the lower rpms.

Old 11-02-2023, 05:55 PM

At this point we don't know if it is engine or drive train related. So if we use a little process of elimination we might be able to pin it down.

Is there any way you might be able to have the vehicle computer checked for any codes. We can get codes without the check engine lamp coming on.
Once we are sure it is not engine related we can move on to the drive train.Can we do this?

Because you are feeling something on the seat, it could be a drive train problem in the rear of the vehicle.