Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

07 2wd F-250 Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 01:32 PM

In the bag of clips that came with my pads, I had 8 clips that go on the end of each pad that spring the back away from the rotor, and also there were 2 of the clips in the attached picture. They look like wear indicators, but I have no idea where they go. All of the YouTube videos that I found show only the pad end clips. Where do these go?

Old 10-17-2019, 10:48 AM

I found another video that briefly showed where the mystery clips went. I installed them and everything is back together. I'm not sure what they do though. The best I can see is that the apply a little more outward pressure to the out pad. Maybe they are compensating for the sticktion in the outer pad mounting hardware and caliper, compared to the inner.

I had to change more parts though. When I took the right spindle nut off when I started this project, I found that it was way too tight. Somebody had really cranked down on it. After I'd cleaned the bearings, of course I inspected them and they looked fine, so I packed them and re-installed them. When I spun the rotor I did hear a slight noise in it. It bothered me to ignore something that really needed attention, so I pulled the rotor and replaced the bearings and races. Now the rotor spins virtually silently. The left side does make a little noise, but it's way less than the right one was. The left spindle nut was over tightened, but nowhere as badly as the right.

On the left side, I could tell that there had been a bearing failure in the past. The spindle washer had a bent portion and showed evidence that it had gotten pretty hot, and the spindle nut was new. I could see no damage to the spindle. The rotors on my truck look pretty new.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the update. Looks like you have everything under control.

I aint gonna comment about the red finger nail !