Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

96 f-350 4x4 steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Default 96 f-350 4x4 steering problems

Hello, I have a 1996 F-350 4x4 crew cab 7.3 auto. I replaced everything in the front end and also replaced the gear box. The truck drives great going down the road nice and tight on the steering. The problem I am having is when i turn the steering wheel does not come back to center on its own. You have to manually turn the wheel back to center. the power steering pump is not making any noises or no fluid leaks. no air bubbles in the reservoir. Not sure what I should do. The only thing I haven't replaced is the power steering pump.took it to a front end shop and they checked everything out and said it looked good. The only thing they didn't check was the gear box. The truck tracks great going down the road. tight steering so I figured the gear box is ok. Help. Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 02:00 PM

I don't know what "replaced everything" includes, but ,,,,, if you tightened the ball joints and tie rod ends in any position other than straight ahead that could affect the returnability. Also, usually, you can install the steering shaft yoke in only one position on the steering box input shaft although some folks manage to get it on other than the correct way.
The steering box could be adjusted a little too tight . It is supposed to be adjusted with the input shaft in the center of it travel. You will feel the high spot when you check this. This is checked with the steering linkage removed and the yoke off the input shaft.
Since you managed to do all that work you most likely know these things.
Anybody can overlook the tires not having the correct air pressure .
The fact that you are getting the proper steering assist would eliminate the spool valve in upper part of the steering box.
I believe you will probably find one of the above listed things contributing to the problem.
I believe your vehicle has a steering stabilizer connected to the steering linkage. If you didn't have this problem before changing all those parts I would expect the stabilizer to be OK.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Hanky, replaced ball joints, tie rods, steering linkage and gear box. tires not cupped and correct pressure. ugh. Dang truck. I only drive it towing my trailer and hunting. put a couple of thousand miles on it a year. just got home from camping and trying to get this figured out. going ot pull it in the shop tonight and check the steering box. Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

What I've seen on a lot of these for a steering return drag is, (more so if it wasn't present prior to the ball joint replacement) is some of the aftermarket joints are very sensitive to being over tightened and can pinch/drag the new joints. Not so much OE replacements. Also you want to make sure the camber sleeve was free during the ball joint replacement. The problem occurs form the bind between upper/lower joints..

On the replacement, when the ball joint nuts are torqued/tightened, if the the spindles can't be rotated 'stop to stop' with only a moderate hand force you'll possibly to usually end up with a mean steering wonder as the S/box has to 'bump' the front hardware back'n forth, or, little to no steering return since the spindle/s are tight and can't easily rotate back.

An easy check is to again remove the tires, tie rod/s ends, and double check the spindle movement force.

Last edited by Hayapower; 07-22-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:01 PM

having a problem with the steering on my 2010 F350. The steering pulls hard right and then hard left repeatedly, just started. This truck has 120,000 km. Yesterday the left /right action evolved into a speed wobble.
I've been to the shop, all front end joints are fine, power steering pump is fine.
Any ideas????