Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

engine bogs down when gas peddle is fully pressed. URGENT!!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 PM

Thanks. I reinstalled the distributer and the truck now runs but I still have the gas pedle problem.im thinking its the timing. Il adjust the timing and if it does the same then I will test the ignition coil finaly. The pin was broken on the old distributor but I never found it.hope it doesn't end up causing problems. 2 of my spark plugs were way beyond wet and gooey looking the others didn't look good either.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Thumbs up

See if you can find a magnetic drain plug....that should show you what's been going on. the smaller metal particles will have been caught by the filter,but anything larger than the oil pump screen will still be there (this stuff wakes me up in the middle of the night) .Is there much sludge in the motor?...not looking to make additional work for you,but popping a valve cover off will tell you much.

Last edited by Gary2Wheels; 09-07-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 AM

I can't see any sludge under the valve cover. Magnetic drain plug? Never heard if it so sorry if I sound dumb, do you buy it and switch it with the current drain plug or does it already have one? I really appreciate the help.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM

yep...any good auto parts dealer, like NAPA,can fix you up,they come in standard and incremental oversize versions.I your standard drain plug is not leaking or loose,replace it with another satndard size magnetic drain plug.Ask around or do an internet search,and see what comes up..

Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Talking

Conclusion : fixed it! Timed it and now when I floor it it screams! just how i like it. I talked to a mechanic and he tried to sell me a whole new carb, glad I didnt. Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited by BigRedFord; 09-07-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Thumbs up

I'm glad you're up and running...were you able to find a magnetic drain plug?...If not,a good strong bar magnet placed on the bottom of the oil pan close to the drain plug might help.Next time you change oil,remove it, then dump your oil...anything major might come out with the oil.You just don't want something like that drive gear retaining pin to find it's way to your timing chain/gears etc....

Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM

have you discovered your problem yet?
I have a 78 also and have been having the same issues.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM

usually when the pin shears the oil pump is trying to lock up so I would put in a new pump while I was in it. I had a bad oil pump in a 75 F150 and while my wife was driving it it just stopped running and sheared that little roll pin after replacing the pump and dist. it never gave me any more trouble. Hanky I need to pick your brain a little

Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 AM

A little is all you're gonna get, cause there ain't too much up there !
Sometimes it takes a while for all the marbles to go into the right holes.
How can I help you ?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 AM

there is an accelerator pump in the carburetor and it might be worn out and not delivering enough gas when you push the gas pedal down ! if i were you i would write down the serial number down on the side of the carburetor, get a kit for it and a can of spray carburetor cleaner and overhaul it ! you will get a new accelerator pump, gaskets, check ball , needle valve and seat in the kit !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine bogs down when gas peddle is fully pressed. URGENT!!