Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Integrated brake controller .... problem or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Default Integrated brake controller .... problem or not ?

My tow vehicle is a 2006 F-350 lariat club cab with 5.4 gas engine. It has the tow package with an integrated brake controller.
I recently did an adjustment on the electric trailer brakes of my flagstaff trailer and while it was up on blocks I decided to check the brakes and see if they were functioning properly.
With the F350 hooked up through the 7 way trailer plug, I was not getting any wheel lock up with the controller gain set at 10 and the brake pedal depressed. The trailer brake magnets were humming so there was some power getting to them.
Not getting any error message on the controller
The brakes would lock up when I move the manual emergency slider on the controller.
I read on an old post that this may be a normal function and that the vehicle may need to be in motion to trigger the electric brakes.
Can anyone help me with this one ?
Maybe it is time to do a road test with the trailer hooked up !

Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..
Normal,, the Ford TBC doesn’t operate the same as aftermarket add in controllers The Ford TBC is vehicle integrated in to the trucks brake system giving it knowledge of vehicle speed, applied vehicle brake pressure etc. At zero speed, or rest, voltage measured at the connector/axles would be minimal.. With that, the magnets would need enough drag lock to swing the brake application arm to apply, or lock the brakes but is dependent on what road conditions the truck is at, and/or manual applications at the controller..
Basically, a safety feature for the best possible truck/trailer applications given conditions..

Old 02-04-2019, 12:16 AM

Thanks for your reply Hayapower. I appreciate your help. I now expect that there is nothing wrong with my trailer brake control system however after the snow melts I will take the truck and trailer out for a road test to confirm. My neighbour also hooked on to my trailer when it was on blocks with his newer F150 ecoboost and had no difficulty activating the trailer brakes . I assume that the newer F150's have a different system of communication between brake controller and trailer brakes.