Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

oil filter being bypassed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 01:42 PM
Default oil filter being bypassed

i'm working on a mans 1977 F 250 with 351 modified in it
truck came to me on a trailer but i did hear it try to run
it has a mechanical oil gauge in it and i was told it was told 45lbs of pressure
when i took filter off no oil in filter but i can make pump work by hand
pump shaft is a little worn and distributor drive looks good
any ideas out there thanks in advance

Old 08-08-2022, 02:38 PM

Hi JJ,
something you might check.
If you didn't hear it run , if it doesn't, ,,,remove the distributor and look at the dist drive gear. It is held in place by a rolled pin and they were known for shearing and the way to verify that is to try to stick a nail or wire through the rolled pin which is hollow. If the nail won't go through , it is sheared and slide the gear down and just punch out the broken pieces Now you need to go to someplace that sells rolled pins or salvage yard and line up the drive gear with the hole in the dist shaft and press in the new pin.

You can also verify if the pin is broken by lining up the pointer on the timing case cover with the TDC mark on the crank pulley. The rotor should be pointing to either #1 cyl spark plug tower on the cap or #6 plug wire tower. Anywhere else ,, pin sheared..
If all this checks out , look for something else
Pretty sure the bottom of the dist shaft connects with the shaft that drives the oil pump. Some had a slot and some had a hex head on the oil pump shaft.
Let us know what you find, thanks.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:40 PM

thanks for response
timing is ok i've already put a new timing set in it
when it got here i heard it try to run which i have addressed that problem by rewiring it where the squirrels had chewed on wiring

Old 08-09-2022, 07:00 AM

I get scared whenever I hear something was rewired. A lot depends on where it is located , if timing is involved and the proper wiring was used.
What do you mean , "A new timing set was installed"?

I forgot to mention in an earlier post, there is a by-pass valve in the oil filter housing that is to allow oil to go to the engine if the filter is plugged. If this valve is stuck in the open position all oil pumped will go around the filter. Might need to check that out..

A quality oil filter will contain an "Anti-drainback valve. A cheap filter might not have that in it.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:48 AM

Last I heard a timing set consists of crank, cam gears and a chain.

If oil is not being pumped, you may be facing the challenge of removing the pan, checking the oil pickup and pump assy. Most filters have a dome end bypass valve and will not cause an empty filter.A malfunctioning anti drainback flapper may cause much oil to escape the filter but the filter would quickly fill back up as the engine is started.

Last edited by raski; 08-11-2022 at 03:59 AM.