Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Y2K PSTD w/o Turn signals or Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Default Y2K PSTD w/o Turn signals or Brake lights

Hi all-
I've looked through the search function to try to trouble shoot this but with out any luck. I have a Y2K PSTD 4X4, CC, DRW with 94k miles. I lost my left turn signal/brake light first then a few days later the right side. I still have the third brake light. My 7 pin trailer outlet works and I have been driving around w/ my emergency trailer lights zip tied to my bed cap for too long. I've checked the fuses. The owners manual walked away one night in New Orleans along with my trailer brake and GPS units so I don't know for sure which fuse/relay it might be. I have a Haynes but it's not helping too much. Do you guys think(Mr. Haya!) that it is the Muti-function switch or flasher relay? I saw a previous post about a bad ground on the rear drivers side. Haven't been able to find where that is located. Inside or outside of the C-channel? Do I need to drop the spare? (That appears to be frozen and won't drop down).
Thanks folks, I just found the forum and you guys are the best source out there!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Y2K PSTD w/o Turn signals or Brake lights

You can download a owners manual here... https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.aspYou have checked the bulbs? Check the fuses in the Central Junction Box #1/20amp, and #24/10amp for power feed to/through the flasher relay and into the multifunction switch.. Since the high mount stop lamp is working eliminates the brake peddle position switch, and power distribution to the switch for stop lamp function.. Does the hazard flashers work? And do the panel/turn indicators illuminate ect? A bad harness ground at the chassisL/R generally won't cause a Right, and then Left lamp failure, nor would a current failure from a blown fuse ect..Possibly the M/F switch since they do fail, but make sure there's applied power where there needs to be before moving on......

Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 AM

Thanks for your reply, I did check all the bulbs, they are good. No hazards at rear except for the emergency trailer lights out of the 7-pin.
The panel/turn signals indicators work(on the dash correct?).I've found that the turn signal stalk doesn't always "lock" in position when I go to signal. Do you feel that could be part o the problem? This would be what I would need to replace correct? http://info.rockauto.com/Motorcraft/...tml?SW5579.jpg

Thanks again, goin' out to triple check those fuses again.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that is the Multi Function switch..

If thelock in the MF switch isn't staying locked with the steering wheel in a straight position I'd replace the switch for just that reason.. I'd suspect the fuses to be good since the flashers work (at/from the trailer adapter.. The functions for stop/turn split off at the MF switch for the vehicle lighting, and then the trailer lighting.. The ground for vehicle and trailerlighting (trailer connector/adapter) is shared at the L/R chassis so it should be good since your trailer adapter is working..