Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Transmission Control Module for 2005 Mercury Montego or Ford 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:55 PM
Default Transmission Control Module for 2005 Mercury Montego or Ford 500

Hi all,
My in laws have gotten along in years and were about to let a perfectly nice 2005 Mercury Montego go, so I bought it as a backup car, thinking that one of my adult kids would need a loaner if their old cars died.... very solid car, very happy with it and low and behold one of my adult kids started using as a commuter car. it had just 110,000 miles but suddenly the check engine light came on and it quickly downshifted to like 1st gear. My son limped home and took it a to a shop which said the TCM, transmission control module is out and really, since the transmission was so beat up, he probably needs to replace all of it.

Apparently, just replacing the part was not enough. Maybe this is because there are no parts to be found as the part has been discontinued.

Rather than replacing the whole transmission, I found a couple of parts on ebay and my shop will install and reflash the module.

My question: is that worth it? or will they get the part, and need another part (a widget or gasket or whatnot).

Or... 2nd question, does anyone have an old Ford or Mercury, 2005, and would be willing to sell me the part?

Old 04-20-2022, 05:48 PM

Salvage yards can do some great things.
Consider a local salvage yard and see what they can come up with.
They are usually connected with other salvage yards around the country and can put the word out for the module you seek. Worth a try.

You might consider trying, " Vintage Parts inc,
Beaver Dam,Wis
c.

Last edited by hanky; 04-20-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:59 AM
Default thank you!

Thank you! I spoke to the mechanic yesterday and their assessment is that TCM replacement alone would not be a good idea in the long run as the CVT on that model year was known to fail, they suggest a whole new transmission and the labor on that was more than I want to pay. (they have gone with a single part in the past and had issues, so they just replace everything with a rebuilt transmission.. also very expensive) Probably going to end up sending the whole thing to peddle.com