Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

2012 ford focus se replaced tcm not communicating

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:10 PM
Default 2012 ford focus se replaced tcm not communicating

Hello all, so i have 12 focus se 139,500 miles on it took it in get door latch recall taken care of and also to have the transmission control module (tcm) replaced as was acting up. Now on tuesday 12/19 fixed both them. So i thought. Now ford dealership saying electircal issue somewere but cant find it. Says tcm not communicating with other programs. Now before took car in never had issue and here it is xmas eve and they still havent been able figire out whats going on. Now want to take transmission out look see if issue is there but wantbto charge me now for it im like WTF. I said no way am i paying for nothing i brought car in for recall issue and tsb issue. Does anyone have suggestions of what it could be i been ford dealership everyday n car is n garage n same spot wont start. I know tcm was/is major issue with alot focus and fiesta but has anyone had the issue afterwards were take them over week fogure out what problem is now. Sorry for rant but just frustrating and aggravating. I called ford corporate and said if got rental could reimburse me 30 a day for 3 days thats it. Thats juat slap n face on top of it. Dealership were car is says they have no other loaner vehicles for me either.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:32 PM

what was the problem with the tcm that required its replacement.

Who diagnosed the tcm as faulty; you or the dealership?

So they replaced the tcm and now can't program it due to a communication fault?

Last edited by primem; 12-24-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 PM

7/10/18
Same transmission issue with the 2012 ford focus. I had the TCM replaced at Ford Lincoln in Columbia,TN.
After having the car at the dealership for a week they told me it was fixed and I could come pick it up.

I thought awesome. I get in the car and I notice right away the Instrument cluster is blinking and I cant see the mileage.
I tell them about the display before even leaving the lot and I am told they cant look at it right now but come back on 7/30/18 a Monday.

I drop the car off that Monday morning 7/30/18 and I go to pick it up that afternoon. I am told by the service manager the Instrument Cluster issue had nothing to do with the TCM replacement.
It is not covered and will need to be replaced for $800 !!!!!!!
What a bunch of crap. I contacted Ford directly and I was told to take it up with the dealership.No help or loyalty there.

I was a fan of Ford but this has put a really bad taste in my mouth. I am not sure what my options are but there is no way that these two issues with the TCM and Instrument Cluster are not related.
I am not an idiot nor am I looking for anything free just honesty from the Ford people.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:56 PM

Impossible to say if the 2 issues are related or not based on the information you provided. If the tcm fixed one of the problems; it must have needed a tcm.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Default Tcm

TCM replaced fixed the problem with the transmission but broke the Instrument cluster

we we had no problem with the Instrument Cluster before we took the car in is why it's related.
transmission and mileage indicater are related

Old 08-02-2018, 12:32 PM

Your point of view us very understandable and from appearances it would seem to be related.

I believe what was trying to be explained was the trans problem is a completely different area from the instrument cluster.

There is no escaping, the vehicle didn't have the problem before the other repairs were made and yet the 2 systems are not related.
Sometimes , the servicing agency will check out if something could have caused the addl problem and if found to be so will take care of it , period.
Now if it is determined their repairs were not involved in causing the addl problem, they will refuse to cover its repair.

IMO , this is where good business practice comes in, the customer is unhappy and the shop is unhappy so they meet half way and there are only winners and no losers.
This is a tough situation to swallow for both sides, but usually a fair and just settlement.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by wspradl
TCM replaced fixed the problem with the transmission but broke the Instrument cluster

we we had no problem with the Instrument Cluster before we took the car in is why it's related.
transmission and mileage indicater are related
lets examine this. The problem with you cluster is the odometer isn't working? All other cluster functions are normal?