Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Advice on 2014 Ford Focus SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 09:49 AM
Lightbulb Advice on 2014 Ford Focus SE

Hi Ford people! I recently lost my mom and inheritied her 2014 Ford Focus 5-dr hatchback SE. It's been a difficult season but settling her affairs has helped a great deal and brings a form of closure. I'd like to sell the car back to Ford, but I wanted to do a little research first and I knew this forum is probably the perfect place to find real/unbiased answers to questions I have before I blindly put my faith in a local Ford dealership and hope for the best. 100% transparency, that is whty I created this account. I hope this isn't against any forum policies. If not, here are the details:

The car has low mileage=62,990

My uncle came out this summer to visit with mom and he also detailed and did a lot of work to get it sale-ready. But I'm here in FL and it is parked in the driveway. I took it out to drive it (I did this regularly) and found it wouldn't go over 40 mph and the air conditioner failed. I think it's the compressor. Then the check engine light came on.

I got one of those FIXD widgets that pinpoints what the trouble is and it told me it needs a new fuel injector.

It then priced the average cost of repair at around $888-1087 to fix.

it also gives you the vehicle value at 10,355
with a range of:
  • Fair=$8,067
  • Good=$10,355
  • Great=$12,642

What do you guys think? Do you agree? Do you think I'd get at least $8,000 from the local Ford dealership knowing they have to replace the fuel injector and fix the AC (possibly compressor)? Does anyone have any tips on how to best approach the sale to avoid getting ripped? Attaching pics ..

Any related advice you can provide is appreciated.

Thank YOU!

Old 12-19-2022, 03:33 PM

The only thing I might caution you with is: there could be a few reasons for an injector to malfunction. It doesn't have to be the injector, but it could be something more expensive to repair, The message you are receiving is only pointing to the possible location of the problem , but not the actual cause.
Until the actual cause is determined, it is a crapshoot and guess.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
The only thing I might caution you with is: there could be a few reasons for an injector to malfunction. It doesn't have to be the injector, but it could be something more expensive to repair, The message you are receiving is only pointing to the possible location of the problem , but not the actual cause.
Until the actual cause is determined, it is a crapshoot and guess.
Thanks @hanky ! I appreciate that. I do know the car never had much pickup and when accelerating, it often would buck (it's subtle). I always thought there was an issue with transmission. Hopefully it's not overly complex. Thank you again.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:00 PM

Because we don't know what you are comparing your present vehicle to, it is difficult to provide a worthwhile answer ,,,UNLESS,,, it performed better until something happened.
If for instance, it used to run on 4 or 6 cyls and now only runs on 5 or 3 cyls there is definitely a power problem and the fuel injector could be the culprit.
The power to the injector needs to be verified, and the signal from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) that activates the injector must be verified also.
It could be something like a simple poor connection , to a malfunctioning injector , or an absent signal from the PCM (COMPUTER) that tells the injector to work.
Certain tests can be done fairly quickly, and some will require a scan tool or other equip. A good shop should be able to determine the cause in a reasonable amount of time.
Hope we removed some of the FOG around the problem.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:10 PM
Wink Follow-up on 2014 Ford Focus - She's FIXED

Hi @hanky ! I figured I'd follow up with you on the 2014 Ford Focus since you were kind enough to selflessly provide some very valuable information to a complete stranger and newbie!!!!

I scoured reviews for independent mechanics in my local area and found a gem, with 50 great reviews and a 5.0 in Google. In a recent lifetime I was in marketing and search engine optimization so I'm pretty good at spotting fake reviews ... these were no fakes. He was the real deal. After this, I'm bringing my Kia to him for all repairs (after having been fleeced recently by the local Kia dealership's service department).

Your theories were correct. Check out the writeup he did in the photo I upload below. And the charges were more than fair. Re: the peanut connection - one of mom's greatest joys was to feed the birds, squirrels, and rabbits in the neighborhood. After she passed, I faithfully took up the daily task, even though the little buggers wreaked havoc on her car! The mechanic told me spraying urine on the engine will keep the buggers at bay lol (with logic that they will be scared off when sniffing a larger mamma's urine). Not sure but I'm entertaining the idea~! Now I just gotta figure out the best way to sell it to get the best bang for my buck. I've been warned that dealerships will pay the least and the private sale is the way to go. I am thinking FB marketplace but if anyone else has any tips on reputable online marketplaces to sell (and hopefully sell fast), I'm all ears! Only got 63K, not too shabby. I took her out on the hwy and she's driving like a champ!

Thanks again Hanky! Tip of the hat and a very happy new year to you! <3

Old 01-09-2023, 08:27 AM

Since everything was corrected, you may not be returning to this site. We do appreciate you returning with the fix and hopefully it will help other folks whose vehicle might experience a similar problem. Thank You.

Old 01-09-2023, 10:59 AM

Absolutely! I value when someone takes the time to help me, especially considering the fast pace of life and speed at which we all operate. I'm passionate about this and paying it forward, or at least, in this case, letting you know what it was and helping out anyone as you said, who may have a similar experience. I'm grateful for both the knowledge bestowed on me, and the lesson. My very best to you @hanky !

Old 01-09-2023, 01:44 PM

We have some very knowledgeable folks on the forum and an excellent Moderator that keeps a close eye on things.
Glad to have you aboard and share bits of info that are helpful to all here, thanks, again.