Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 AM
Default Transmission Help

Hey new to the forums, I have a 06 focus with a 5 speed manual transmission 4 cylinder zx4 that needs to be rebuilt. It has 166,xxx miles on the original clutch. I’m looking for parts but seem to be having a hard time finding a flywheel. Also what brand clutch kit would y’all recommend? Is there a kit with clutch/flywheel? Thanks in advance

Old 05-23-2020, 10:20 AM

First I would suggest you shop around locally. Here's why, If you have any type problem, you don't have far to go to get help or assistance. Yes, you can buy cheaper on line , but do you know what you are getting? it sucks when you go through a lot of trouble and find the part is incorrect or defective.. I haven't found anybody that wanted to do the job over or again. Clutches are pretty much the same , but OEM cannot afford comebacks so you usually get what you pay for. If you haven't removed the clutch assy, how do you know you need a flywheel ? Starting off in too high a gear will require the clutch slip a lot more than starting off in the lowest recommended gear and damage to the flywheel is more likely. Some flywheels can be resurfaced , if required.
If the original clutch lasted that many miles, chances are pretty good another original equipment clutch will do the same. Give it some consideration.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
First I would suggest you shop around locally. Here's why, If you have any type problem, you don't have far to go to get help or assistance. Yes, you can buy cheaper on line , but do you know what you are getting? it sucks when you go through a lot of trouble and find the part is incorrect or defective.. I haven't found anybody that wanted to do the job over or again. Clutches are pretty much the same , but OEM cannot afford comebacks so you usually get what you pay for. If you haven't removed the clutch assy, how do you know you need a flywheel ? Starting off in too high a gear will require the clutch slip a lot more than starting off in the lowest recommended gear and damage to the flywheel is more likely. Some flywheels can be resurfaced , if required.
If the original clutch lasted that many miles, chances are pretty good another original equipment clutch will do the same. Give it some consideration.
Thanks, the shop I took it to just said he was having a hard time finding a flywheel (just figured I’d get the parts while it’s torn apart). Where can I get one stuff from ?

Old 05-23-2020, 11:28 AM

I have a 2.0 with a dm flywheel im assuming would you recommend going this route?

https://www.fswerks.com/products/exe...-duratec-fs107

Last edited by Tylerls1; 05-23-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:42 PM

I have never dealt with this supplier so I cannot say.

What I can say, I have never gone wrong staying with OEM parts from a dealership. Sorry I cannot provide the type answer you seek.
Maybe someone on this forum that has utilized their product can provide a better reply.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
I have never dealt with this supplier so I cannot say.

What I can say, I have never gone wrong staying with OEM parts from a dealership. Sorry I cannot provide the type answer you seek.
Maybe someone on this forum that has utilized their product can provide a better reply.
it’s all good. Thankfully I’ve never had to do more than a alternator and regular maintenance to it. This job though is beyond my skill set so I’d rather let someone else tackle it. The flywheels I’ve found are $450 and up so trying to figure out what is best before sinking the money into it.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:19 PM

Manufacturers spend a lot of $$$ researching what might give the best all around performance, and longevity to their product. They make some boo, boos too. There was a reason they went to this particular flywheel for the vehicle. Maybe it was good , maybe not, but The majority of the time it is better to stay with the original design.
I would think there may be a trade off installing a different flywheel from what was manufactured originally. Let's face it , if it was cheaper to use a regular flywheel instead of the dual mass which costs more, do you think they chose the more expensive choice because they had money to burn ? Multiply the savings by the number of vehicles produced that used that flywheel. Anyway, that is one way to look at it. What do you think?

Old 05-23-2020, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Dual Mass by design helps to reduce/dampen the unwanted engine 'variation of torque' under normal engine ops, by accumulation and storing energy in the half masses dampened within the springs (reducing vibration) released over a rate/range of compatibility.
A standard flywheel would certainly help with job cost, but you'd loose the benefit of DM. Given it's age, mileage, the kit you listed would cover the need.

LuK is a good source for OE, but cost is higher..

Old 05-24-2020, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Dual Mass by design helps to reduce/dampen the unwanted engine 'variation of torque' under normal engine ops, by accumulation and storing energy in the half masses dampened within the springs (reducing vibration) released over a rate/range of compatibility.
A standard flywheel would certainly help with job cost, but you'd loose the benefit of DM. Given it's age, mileage, the kit you listed would cover the need.

LuK is a good source for OE, but cost is higher..
Ok thanks wasnt sure of my options. Cheapest dm flywheel I’ve found is around 450