Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Warning Lights of Many

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 07:08 AM
Default Warning Lights of Many

Maybe someone has an idea on how to fix this thing. I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 (my daughter's). About 6 months ago, started having issues with the battery. The battery was quite old so we replaced it. No issues for a few weeks, then the battery light comes on along with abs & brake light. UGH. Take it to the mechanic - they come up with a bad alternator. I don't quite believe it but ok replaced the atlernator. Still having issues. I swap out the radio b/c I swear it's pulling power. Problem solved well at least for the last 6 months its been running great, until 2 days ago. The battery light shows back up runs for a minute then the abs and battery light comes on then the air bag light. The display then goes blank while the car is still RUNNING. No good. Then the engine shuts down after running for another few minutes and the display decides to come back on. I've had the ECM checked the first time the mechanic was trying to figure out the issue. I have stumped my very smart & mechanically inclined family & friends with this one. Any clues??

Old 07-22-2023, 04:03 PM

I would suggest you check the plug that goes on to the alternator for possible loose fit on the terminals..

If they are not a tight fit , it can cause arcing which can cause untold problems with the electronics in the system. It actually turns loose "Gremlins" that can drive a tech up the wall.
Let us know what you find, thanks.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:12 AM

Hi, if battery light appear on the dash it probably alternator fault, check wiring from alternator and wiring from battery - to body, check that wire and place where it connected to the body.