Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

79 Thunderbird Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 04:03 PM
Default 79 Thunderbird Starting issues

I replaced the original distributor with an HEI distributor and have been having problems getting the car the restart or run since the switch. The distributor doesn't seem to want to spark like it is supposed to. I bought a tune up kit and replaced the hardware on the distributor to see if that was the problem. It didn't fix the issue so I am lost on what the problem could be.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:17 PM

Installing a distributor ,,,,,,,,,,,correctly,,,,,,,,,,,,,is not difficult, but if one overlooks a few important things, it can get complicated.

When you installed the dist did you pay attention to where #1 cyl should be as far as the rotor is concerned? If not, you might want to get some lunch because the correct procedure is a little involved..
If, you want to, please tell us what you did ,,,,every step, OK, ?
What engine is in your vehicle and do you know where #1 cyl is located? Do you know where TDC is located and how to get the engine there?

Before you answer, please, we need to know what direction the engine rotates , clockwise or counterclockwise looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle.
Also, we need to know what direction the dist rotor rotates when cranking , clockwise or counterclockwise looking at the dist from the top.

Last edited by hanky; 04-18-2022 at 06:24 PM.