Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

F250 no pulleys spin

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Default F250 no pulleys spin

piece on right growls after attempt to start.. doubt that is the cause of my issue .. just wanted to include that
as of now here's what I got .
Truck won't start .nothing spins in engine bay ..belt doesn't move at all.
what happened to get to here is this .
truck ran great ...no issues with trans slipping,starting it ,running ..nothing ..no noises..
driving 60 mph and acceleration begins to decline even with foot on the gas..motor is accepting the gas and rpms are there ..but speed quickly diminishes and I'm stopped ..
get towed home .
wait until weekend .
truck now is a no start
get new battery no luck ..
I figure I'll replace starter
bolts rusty I strip and also snap off selenoid on starter ..so if it was good ..it's now bad ..get used verified good starter ..still can't get old one off ..replace the selenoid on starter ..
which the wires were so crusty and rusty it may originally just been poor connection...cuz now it sounds like she wants to start ..however ..nothing spins in engine
no movement at all ..
I have removed the flex shield a buddy told me to look at that area and it looks ok..no damage ...
it sounds loud but wants to start ..
just nothing spinning ..???
this thing pictured does make a grumbling sound a few seconds after j try to start..
also tried starting fluid and minor other things .but I think I have an engine issue..any ideas? Thanks everyone

Old 11-19-2019, 03:16 AM

There may be more than one problem.
If you can, attempt to turn over engine with alt pulley and see if center of crankshaft pulley turns. If not, possible crank pulley problem. Now you need to go deeper and determine if crankshaft itself is actually moving.. You might be able to remove inspection cover under rear of engine to see if flywheel is actually moving when starter is engaged. Lets see what we find before going any further. At this point we don't know if the starter is actually moving flywheel.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Default flywheel

so I had previously removed what my buddy told me was called a flex shield
which sounds like the inspection station?
2 bolts with thin piece of metal between engine and trans .
and had my girlfriend turn the key
the flywheel spins looks ok but it's hard to see the whole thing ..I will try to spin the alt pulley as suggested after work thanks a lot

Old 01-21-2020, 06:45 AM
Default flywheel

flywheel moving .. crank the key and look under where engine and trans meet and flywheel spins.. no pulleys spin