Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Front strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Default Front strut replacement

Hello trying to put struts on couldnt get quick struts had to change spring now cant get the strut back in the knuckle sanded all the paint off the bottom of strut and sanded the rust out of the knuckle also have ordered a knuckle spreader will b here in a couple days anyone have ANY suggestions ???

Old 04-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Default Struts issue

Originally Posted by Bikermikeyblack
Hello trying to put struts on couldnt get quick struts had to change spring now cant get the strut back in the knuckle sanded all the paint off the bottom of strut and sanded the rust out of the knuckle also have ordered a knuckle spreader will b here in a couple days anyone have ANY suggestions ???
I just replaced my struts (new struts with old springs) on my 2005 Freestar and they slid in as easily as they came out so maybe you have the wrong size strut...? Measure the diameter of the old and compare to the new ones. If they are the same diameter, they should slide in.

One thing to mention is that you need to have the bolt out of the knuckle for the base of the strut to slide in. (I'm sure you have it out but just in case).
DB

Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DAB6
I just replaced my struts (new struts with old springs) on my 2005 Freestar and they slid in as easily as they came out so maybe you have the wrong size strut...? Measure the diameter of the old and compare to the new ones. If they are the same diameter, they should slide in.

One thing to mention is that you need to have the bolt out of the knuckle for the base of the strut to slide in. (I'm sure you have it out but just in case).
DB
thanks DB
i put the struts in the freezer overnite and they slid right in i happen to think of that and it worked fine they must have been a little fat

Old 04-29-2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bikermikeyblack
thanks DB
i put the struts in the freezer overnite and they slid right in i happen to think of that and it worked fine they must have been a little fat
Good idea and glad to hear that it worked. Nothing more frustrating than when something doesn't work as expected but nice when you finally get it back together. I had trouble getting the nut off the top of the struts to get the springs off as it was rusted and nothing I had would keep the nut from spinning with the strut shaft. A pair of vice grips on the chrome strut shaft helped on the first one but not on the second one so I had to drill a hole in the shaft to put a punch through so I could stop the shaft from spinning. It all worked out but took an extra hour or more to get it done. I was in the middle of an engine swap so I didn't expect the struts would take as long as they did to change them out. It all worked out and the van is like new again.
DB

Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 AM

Great idea drilling a hole i had to do the same vice grip thing to get the nuts off also was very difficult