Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Lights turning on by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Lightbulb Lights turning on by themselves

My 2004 Freestar is having the strangest problem. When the Van is completely locked, external and internal lights, turn on by themselves for 25 seconds... and do this many times intermittently.

This behavior is starnge, I know. Several weeks ago, someone has told me that I had left the lights turned on in my Van. I didn't believe it because the car advises when you remove the keys to get off the vehicle, I checked anyway. The light were off. However, the next day, I discovered the behivor while pumping gas. All doors were closed, keys removed and suddenly, the lights came on without no reason.

The turning on of the lights is very intermitent. It may repeat in cycles of 3 minutes, 15 minutes or not do it for hours. However, it already discharged my battery once, after doing it consistently one night.

It does it so frequently, that I measured the "ON" cycle time. They stay on for 25 seconds, which is exactly the time that they go ON when you press the button in the remote control to open the locks and disable the alarm. The behaivor is exactly that except that it doesn't open the locks (luckly).

It may happen with and without the alarm active, I already tested it.

I know it's an electrical problem but not easy to fix. I already took it to the dealer. The first time they claimed the Van never showed that behavior. Now it's there again with them, but I really doubt that they will put much effort on fixing it. I'm thinking on looking for another place to solve it.

If anyone has any idea to help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM

It sounds as if there is a problem in the control module or one of the door switch circuits. If you check, when the door handles are lifted the lights will activate as well, whether the door is locked or opens. To try and futher isolate the problem for the Ford Tech, turn your lights to manual off vs the auto mode and see if exterior lights up when it does this. PS you need to have the iginition in the run posistion or the switch will not acknowledge the command with the control module.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Post Lights turning on...

Thanks for the feedback. My Freestar doesn't have the Automode, the lights would turn on with the internal switch, however, they do turn on when the alarm is disable with the remote control. In fact, the technicial was looking for the "AutoLights" module, which is not present in the unit.

I'm not sure if by the lifting the handle they would turn on, I don't think so, but I'll check.

Does anyone know where to get the electrial wiring diagram for the car? Not sure if this is available somewhere. I'm fairly new on car issues.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 AM

There are tons of OEM electrical diagram manuals for sell on EBAY.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 AM

Yes, the rear hatch will activate lights particularly if the switch is in the door open/on mode. If you have an alarm, when you set it the lights flash? If you unlock the lights engage? (mine do, but I have auto lights). I still think you are having an issue in the PATS/Alarm system or a flacky door switch.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Thumbs up Problem solved

Finally my local dealer could fix this problem. They had to spend a week with the Van but when they decided to review the electrical system by checking the harnesses point by point, it was discovered that the problem was in the driver's door.

As I mentioned, this behaivor was if the alarm was being disabled. The door has a small cylinder that works as a switch when the you open the door with the key. This cylinder was sending the wrong signal like if the door was open. They disconnected the switch from the harness for now, so no signal gets sent.

I have to say that we barely have used the key to open the door. We normally use the remote control.

It seems that the mistery was solved. Thanks for the inputs.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:41 AM

Hi guys, I am having the EXACT same issue with my Freestar as was egarcia99 with the headlights turning on by themselves withe the engine off, and the key removed, but mine has an added twist, the radio will also turn on(after i hear a faint click under the steering column), and the odometer lights up and shows--------. Would the cylinder in the door also cause this? When i hear electrical, i think....Hmmmmm, how much can i get for this van? Please help me, i love my van!