Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

What is this? Some kind of hanger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Default What is this? Some kind of hanger?

I got the 2004 Freestar back with the new torque converter - many noises have ceased. On the way home the car started lurching at 20, 40 & 60 before the check engine light came on.

Cherokee Ford wanted $400+ to replace the fuel pressure sensor and connector. The connector is fine and I got the sensor for $80 including shipping from RockAuto.com. It was a 30 minute job - went gently to avoid damaging the o-ring. No leaks.

While I was running my finger along the back of the sensor flange to check for leaking gasoline, I noticed a shiny copper wire twisted around a hose bracket with a 1/8" diameter, s-shaped rod dangling at the other end of the wire.

Here is the picture. What is it?

Attached Thumbnails What is this?  Some kind of hanger?-sbracket-002.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM

That would be the intake runner linkage for the right engine bank. Which is why I suspect you have drivability issues. I've never seen one of these drop out of both ends before. Normally, just one end or the other. Let alone, be totally disconnected and tied up with a shiny copper wire. I would take it as, somebody disconnected it and was hoping you bring it back in for repair, then pop it back on for MUCHO-$$$.

Kind of like me finding the pin hole in ABS lead in a place that one would never suspect and causing my ABS to report the L/R sensor as bad after the wire corroded thru from the salt in Western NY. Van has never been on a lift except for NYS inspections at my local Ford Dearship.

Anyways, if the plastic retainers are actually broken, you can buy them a your local parts store for about $5.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 08-01-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM

This and their ridiculous hourly fees is why I don't do Dealers. UCS if what you are saying turns out to be true, that's some seriously underhanded stuff this dealer is doing. Wouldn't surprise me as I've heard plenty other stories about dealers, but still gets ones blood boiling.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:50 AM

Found a picture and quick & inexpensive fix for the 3.9 here. I'll look tomorrow to see if its the same for the 4.2.

3.9L (Freestar) Intake Manifold Runner Control - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

The dealer wanted an extra $250 to replace the bushings in addition to the original $485 fquore for the fuel rail pressure sensor and connector. The connector looks pristine and the wiring looks and feels solid.

Last edited by stwoodworth; 08-02-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:50 AM

Kwakman...That it does. I found the pin hole and the corroded wire just in front of the connector under the van. It was just right were all of the crud (salt) from the front tire would get thrown up onto it.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 08-02-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by stwoodworth
Found a picture and quick & inexpensive fix for the 3.9 here. I'll look tomorrow to see if its the same for the 4.2.

3.9L (Freestar) Intake Manifold Runner Control - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

The dealer wanted an extra $250 to replace the bushings in addition to the original $485 fquore for the fuel rail pressure sensor and connector. The connector looks pristine and the wiring looks and feels solid.
This dealer is a crook! What about having the local news station running an investigative report? You would have the right vehicle for that.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 PM

Hi Fuel Pressure code has cleared. Waiting on IMRL bushings from Rockauto.com. Excellent youtube video of intake manifold gasket replacement which includes the IMRL bushing installation.

Even with shipping (plus brake pads, rotors, and caliper rebuild kits) it was cheaper than the parts store, and I don't get sucked into implulse buying - or pay for gas to get to the store either.