Ford Freestyle The new crossover, combining the versatility of an SUV with the compact size and feel of a station wagon.

Problems with starting after CVT fluid, filter change

Old 09-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Default Problems with starting after CVT fluid, filter change

Hello everyone. I picked up an 06 Freestyle that had some CVT issues. I recently went through and replaced the HP filter, pan filter and fluid. After getting everything back together, the car refuses to roll over. I put key in, turn forward, and hear 1 click. The click I hear is coming from under dash. I have checked all fuses under dash and up front I cant figure out why this will not roll over. I even tried hooking up the Actron scanner to check for any extra codes. The scanner is now telling me that it is unable to obtain link. Basically says, 'link error'. At this point, I have no clue what to check for. Any thoughts?

I have tried jumping battery and putting battery on charger. I have power to run all accessories without any issues.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:04 PM

First I would recheck all wiring that I might have moved in the process of doing the service.
It does sound like a poor connection either at the battery or one of the cables. Accessories might operate, but not enough power to operate starter. Check connections at manual lever position switch (neutral safety switch).

Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM

I removed the main harness plug from the CVT. That is the only thing that was disconnected. This is completely baffling as to why I am having these issues. My first thought was the starter so I tried tapping the side of it. Then I decided to check for codes. It acts like it is stuck in a gear or something. So my thoughts were to see if it brought up a code for the Neutral Safety switch. Unfortunately the Actron does not communicate. I had no issues using Actron on this car before the fluid change.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 PM

I went back to check my Actron and decided to check systems individually. I found that it was able to communicate with everything but transmission. err.. I hope I didn't F it up.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:47 AM

if everything you took apart is confirmed connected. I would rule out the battery and main battery connections before you start diagnosing anything else.

sub in a known good battery. a bad battery with an internal short will suck all power from a booster battery.

if you do not have another battery; remove the battery terminals from the bad battery and connect your jumper cables directly to battery cables. if the car starts your battery is nfg.

shut the freestar down before you remove the booster cables. do not run the vehicle without a connection to a battery.

Last edited by primem; 09-07-2015 at 11:55 AM.