Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

Loose Rock Noise Problem and 2012 Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Default Loose Rock Noise Problem and 2012 Fusion

In the majority of ways, I love my 2012 Ford Fusion.
However, whether it be the vehicle’s original tires or some fault in the underside design of the vehicle – if you travel on a road with loose gravel or small rocks, it makes an annoying, extremely loud banging noise for each loose rock that is kicked up and pounds right underneath the driver or passenger side front doors.
Anyone else notice this pesky problem?
I've never had a car anywhere near this loud when loose rocks pelt the underside.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:17 AM

Sometimes a set of rubber flaps installed behind the wheels will help. They do help keep stone damage from chipping the paint in the area behind the wheels and help keep deposits to the underside to a minimum. They might also help with the noise you are getting from stone damage. If you decide to get them, a set from Ford is easier to install and they look like they came with the vehicle.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Default Loose rock noise - Revisited

Hello,
I had an issue a few months ago with my 2011 Fusion SE after driving on a gravel road near Greenwood, Mississippi. My GPS took us off the main road onto this gravel road and when we got back on normal pavement and in town, there was this horrendous noise coming from one of the wheels. Needless, to say, we did not have much farther to go to get to my brother-in-laws house and we decided the noise was coming from the rear driver-side wheel. We took the wheel off and found a small pebble had lodged up between the disc-brake caliper and the back plate and after removal, the noise dis-appeared. It was bad enough that my in-laws heard us coming from several hundred yards away and of all places, Greenwood, MS !
Hope you Have Better Luck,
Satisfied Fusion Owner