Troubleshooting P0316 code - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Old 07-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Troubleshooting P0316 code

Hello, im new to this thread section. I have recently acquired a 2002 Mustang GT Convertible 5-spd. When me and my brother were out driving it, it started misfiring (made the same sound as the 03' Expedition 5.4 my mom had a few years ago). we were able to limp it home ok but the code says "Misfire detected on startup (First 1000 RPM's)" so what exaclty am i supposed to be looking for and what should i fix first?

I read it could be anything from a bad coil(s), bad CKP sensor, bad gas, bad injector, and im kind of short on money so spending money on the wrong part is something to be careful for. (car has 134k miles and needs a TPS as well for sure)
Old 07-28-2017, 05:54 PM

If you are sure the TPS is defective, replace it . It could affect system voltage to other components.

would suggest the following;
Clear the code, and see if you can create it again.
I vaguely remember a similar situation like this and the cause was way out in left field.
If you can get it to happen easily ,when it is corrected you will be sure it is corrected when checking after the fix.
I believe it involved a series of checks the computer did before the engine was even started.

Last edited by hanky; 07-28-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:51 PM

yeah it'd make sense if it was just the TPS as i know it was getting bad as the idle was fluctuating some and the RPMs dropped slowly when putting in the clutch. The misfire started after the clutch was let out (going from a stop) and both the idle (TPS) and the misfire got worse at the same time during the trip home.

we even unplugged a coil at a time to see if it would stop and didn't make a difference so its not a specific coil which would also make sense if it was the TPS or other sensor.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Did you get a chance to check and clean all the ground connections, could be when you move the clutch something moves and a connection is either made or lost.
Keep in mind everytime you unplug things when the engine is running there is a good chance it will throw in another code and if you forget that , all the codes can take you for a ride when there is nothing wrong except things were unplugged.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanky View Post
Did you get a chance to check and clean all the ground connections, could be when you move the clutch something moves and a connection is either made or lost.
Keep in mind everytime you unplug things when the engine is running there is a good chance it will throw in another code and if you forget that , all the codes can take you for a ride when there is nothing wrong except things were unplugged.
I haven't had a chance to do any of that no, I'll check over more things tomorrow or while I'm replacing the TPS