Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

1989 Ranger Accelerates for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Exclamation 1989 Ranger Accelerates for no reason

I have a 1989 XLT Ranger 2WD Auto with a 2.9L engine that gets stuck accelerating when I give it some gas. The guy at the auto shop said it may be the sensor located at the top of the intake manifold. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some feedback before I move forward. If the general consensus is that it is the sensor what should I use to clean it? He said to use throttle cleaner instead of a sensor cleaner. What do you all suggest I use. Am I barking up the wrong tree and it isn't the intake sensor?

In advance, any feedback on this problem is deeply appreciated as I need safe transportation...

Old 02-15-2015, 03:30 PM

Since it was not mentioned, did anyone check the throttle linkage for binding anyplace. That is usually the first thing to check especially if the linkage gets rusty or dirty. Does the throttle stick without the engine running , if so, you should be able to see where it is sticking and usually a little penetrating oil in the right place will remedy the problem.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:03 PM

Thank you for your interest in my thread hanky. I should have mentioned that I checked throttle linkage. It moves freely and returns to idle position. This is a serious consistent problem where the engine begins to rev past 6000 rpm's when it's warmed up and receives a little gas from the peddle. I had to throw it in neutral and turn off the ignition in order to control the car. When I restarted it, it would high idle all the way home at 3000 + rpm. I tried giving it a little gas to keep up with traffic and it immediately began revving at a constant 6000 + rpm again. I read a post in this forum regarding high idle and the person was told to check for vacuum leaks. Could my problem be a vacuum problem or a faulty/dirty intake manifold sensor...

I appreciate your help with this...

Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 AM

It would have to be a pretty big vacuum leak, but not impossible. Try unplugging the MAF(mass air flow ) sensor and see if that helps . If so, replace it.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:27 PM

Here's something else to look at. I had a 1988 Ranger XLT SC 4X4 w/2.9. I had an issue where the engine would rev on its own up to about 4000 RPMs. What I found was that the wiring harness went over the alternator bracket and had chaffed thru causing one of the wires to make contact with the bracket. One I found this and repaired the wire, the issue was resolved. Not sure if this may be your problem or even if the 89's still had the wiring harness routed the same as the 88s. Just thought I would throw this tid-bit your way.

Then again, there was the time I was driving back from Bremerhaven, Germany tooling down the autobahn when the E150 conversion van I was driving decided to take over the throttle via the cruise control circuit when the cruise wasn't on. Disconnect the cruise and the rest of the trip back to Darmstadt, Germany was event free.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 02-18-2015 at 11:32 PM.