Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Flashing O/D Off And Burning Rubber Smell.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Default Flashing O/D Off And Burning Rubber Smell.

On Friday I was driving and came to a stop at a redlight. Upon turning my O/D off started flashing and would not stop even with pressing the O/D button. A few seconds after it started to flash I began to smell a slight burning smell so I pulled over to check things. I did not see anything wrong and when I crunk up the truck again the O/D off quit flashing but the smell continued. I got to my destination and let the truck cool off. Going back on my way home I began to smell the burning smell again but still no flashing. The next morning I had to go get supplies for an oil change and did not have any issues or burning smell. I changed the oil and checked all fluids; they all seem in great shape. I have now drove the truck almost 200 miles since this happened and have not had any issues. What could this have been?

Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 PM

What you might check,
Trans fluid level
Does the fluid have a burned smell?
The flashing of the OD lite is a warning something is going on with the trans.
If you can , try to have the computer checked for any codes. Trans codes are usually in the P0700 series.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
What you might check,
Trans fluid level
Does the fluid have a burned smell?
The flashing of the OD lite is a warning something is going on with the trans.
If you can , try to have the computer checked for any codes. Trans codes are usually in the P0700 series.
I checked the trans fluid level and it was good, color was also good and no burnt smell. I scanned for codes with 3 different scanners and none of them showed any codes.