Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Radius Arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Default Radius Arm

Does any one know how to change a radius arm on a 94 ranger 4x4?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Default RE: Radius Arm

There's two ways. Either drill out the rivets that hold the rear bracket to the frame (I haven't done this, but I've read about it), or you remove the hub, brake parts, shocks, and spring. This allows the I-beam to drop low enough so that it can be pulled forwardto allow the RA to clear the rear bracket. Most people that do it this way, including myself, used a come-a-long to pull the I-beam. I just needed to replace the rear bushings. The first side took me about 4 hours while I "learned". The other side took about an hour and a half. The biggest possible hang-up that I can see is not being able to get the big nut loose at the base of the spring. I was lucky when I could get mine loose with a box end wrench through the side of the spring. I've seen pics of a long extension and socket extending out the top of the spring also.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/

Scroll down a couple of pages to "Suspension" and there's some links to RA info. Most refer to drilling out the rivets, but frankly I'm not comfortable with that. Many have found no problems with it, however.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 PM
jdm
Default RE: Radius Arm

you don't have to take any brake parts apart or anything like that, but the rivets you have to torch/drill out, i used and air chisle, that worked best for me but if you don't have access to one, your arms are gerna be sore from drilling, but as long as you can get that bolt loose on the end of the arm, you can almost push the arm out, MAKE SURE YOU PLACE YOUR JACKS STRATEGICALLY, last thing you want is to have a truck fall on you, after all that its pretty much self explained