Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2007 Taurus Charging System Problem

Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Default 2007 Taurus Charging System Problem

I have a 2007 Taurus that seems to have a problem with the charging system.
Sometimes it will say "Check Charging System" and the battery light will come on while driving the car and then go off.
The recent battery for the car only lasted about 6 months and we just had a new one put in today.
The local parts store tested the alternator and said that it was ok.
Any ideas or suggestions on what could be the problem?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:16 PM

Hi, I do have the same taurus as you do. Same problem of check charging system. My local garage say 'your car is fine, no alt problem and bla bla. 3 days ago i got the check engine light and difficulty to increase speed a few moments when returning home after work plus the check charging system from time to time. I just had the car check this morning by a garage who is specialized in the electricals problems. The Tech tried to communicate with the PCM but unable to. Suggestion to you: have the PCM check. It this problem happening when raining or if very humid? If so, probable the PCM is being wet. PCM is just near the low pressure valve for AC. Left side.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:45 PM

There are a few other things you might check in spite of an electrical shop check.
1. check, remove/unplug the 3 wire plug on the alternator and plug it back in. Sometimes the connections are not the best and moving them corrects the problem.
2. Check the wire connection on the alternator that goes to the battery. If there is any corrosion on/in there that output from the alt never gets to the battery or not all of it gets there because of resistance/corrosion.
The signals from the PCM control the alt output . The PCM also alerts the instrument cluster by turning the charge light on if insufficient output is detected. Faulty connections can affect the entire operation of the system.They are easy to check and can save you a lot of trouble and $$$.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Default Ford Taurus charging system problem

Hello, Just an update on the repair i had done on the Taurus this week. The check charging system was caused by a faulty connector to the alternator. The tech was able to see this by moving the connector with the result that the light 'check charging system' was going on and off depending on the movement. Cost 15.00$ plus time. However in my situation the alternator was also at fault (according to the garage ...) and it needed to be replaced.

The end result is that the light 'check charging system' does not show anymore and the car is starting at first turn of the key even if we are having minus 29 degree celcius at night this week for 4 days in a row.

So maybe if you are looking at this soon enough the repair could be non-expensive. This is something rare for a car.

Hope this helps.